stingray floating on top of water?!

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Did you add some Prime or some kind of water conditioner after the water change? I lost some fish a few years back because the town water was high in chloramine and I didn't use water conditioner. I also noticed you just set up this tank maybe September or October! Stingrays don't do good in new tank setups unless you are really experienced. Not a good fish to start out with especially in a new tank! Just keep up the water changes and use some water conditioner as per directions and hope for the best!

Stephaan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Colombo
Heard somwhere that rays dont do well with salt :S Did you dissolve it before putting it in the tank?

JeremyXXXX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Long Island
Stephaan;4682072; said:
Heard somwhere that rays dont do well with salt :S Did you dissolve it before putting it in the tank?
I think this is what did it. I have done about a half dozen weekly water changes before today with no problem. Usually after a fresh change they are more active but today after the change I put 2 9oz. cups 1/3 full of aquarium salt to help with stress but instead I almost killed them!

I always use water conditioner and check my parameters on the regular especially after a water change. The aquarium salt was defenitly the silent killer in this situation. Rays seem to be doing okay now, not at the surface or upside down looking for oxygen lets just hope they pull through!

Thank you all for the help!

JeremyXXXX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Long Island
my retic is climbing the walls and going back to her regular behavior :thumbsup:
lets hope it stays this way! scary night, 530AM time for bed.

thanks again for the help everybody!

andysmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
uk
you need to get a airstone in there
in my smaller tank i use the filter to disturbe the water but it got a plant stuck in it which stopped the flow and my fish started to gasp at the surface.
once i sorted it out it was then fine.
i have alot of flow from my filters and powerhead in my ray tan but have 2 large air stone and i have not had any problems.

rkiranking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
India
Use a de-chlorinator with your water. Noramally city water contains a lot of chlorine which kills fishes. All the best.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
1 of my larger motoros likes to do this sometimes, I will find her floating around just like that for hours at a time. Never seen any of the other rays in there with her do it and I have a oxygen pump and a waterfall airating the water so I doubt its an oxygen issue in my case. I have seen her doing this for 2 or 3 months now and she is fine, hopefully yours is ok.

And like rkiranking said, use something to declorinate your water, if your getting a bunch of strange behavior right after a water change that would be the most likely cause.

I use salt with my rays all the time, never had an issue. The only thing is you want to disolve it first or put it in the sump as direct contact with undesolved salt can injure them.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Im not sure what you have going on. I myself never use the amout on the directions for salt in my ray tank. I might go about half of that they say but I also dont add it ever time I do a water change.. I might add some about every month and a half. Seem mine do ok with that.
I would add some air stones in that tank. If your powerheads are adding air, thats ok, but if thats all you have, Id add stones just for air.
Go to walmart, they have a double air pump for like 12.00 bucks. then but some air line and but two of there long blue airstones.. Hook it all up. The long blue stones might not put out air all the wa across them at first, but after a few days in the tank, they will give you a wall affect and most important put out a good amount of air for you...
Myself, I put two in my tanks and a round airstone in the middle of the tanks.. that way I know they get enough air thru out the tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store