Stocking ideas for 500gallon?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
man i cant decide between silver or leichardi aro, the silver is gonna cost me $300 and the lei $80, but money isn't the big factor, im just scared of the silver getting severe DE, i actually don't mind silvers with "slight" DE, if i was to do everything correct ie no feeders, no bare bottom, not bright lights, ping pongs balls / floating plants, variety diet, pristine water conditions and i think my tank is bigger then the average 240 people use so maybe would limit the jumping, really what are the chances of severe DE?
Jealous here the price is reverse for silvers and leis. And 300 dollar leis are babies

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
man i cant decide between silver or leichardi aro, the silver is gonna cost me $300 and the lei $80, but money isn't the big factor, im just scared of the silver getting severe DE, i actually don't mind silvers with "slight" DE, if i was to do everything correct ie no feeders, no bare bottom, not bright lights, ping pongs balls / floating plants, variety diet, pristine water conditions and i think my tank is bigger then the average 240 people use so maybe would limit the jumping, really what are the chances of severe DE?
Even with doing what youve stated as being "correct" 99.99% chance of it getting DE and the severity will increase with age. If money is not a factor then go with a black aro. Why raise a fish that is destine to be handicapped.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
exactly, silvers should be left to people who have a huge pond, in the wild they dont suffer with it which is odd... cant recall if the 3 footer at the london aquarium has it or not!?? or is that an asian?

these look ok!?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
The silvers in Shedd aquarium in Chicago have really bad DE. But I'm assuming they were donated.uploadfromtaptalk1407177253989.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ullysses

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Yea Jardinis do look nicer imo, and there's a guy who's about to start breed them.

Join American Cichlids and Exotics Australia on facebook, you'd be surprised what we have down here.
What state are you in?
I'm already in that group but havnt seen anyone mentioning silvers.
Do you have a name that you could pm me?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
Even with doing what youve stated as being "correct" 99.99% chance of it getting DE and the severity will increase with age. If money is not a factor then go with a black aro. Why raise a fish that is destine to be handicapped.
problem is a black aro is around $1.000, i cant justify paying that much on a fish, no black aro breeders :/

I really wanted a silver too, what if the parents are a meter long and have no DE, better genes less chance?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store