Stung by saltwater ray!!!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I am sure he will take every opportunity to tell this story to every girl he meets for the rest of his lilfe lol !!
Hopefully a speedy recovery! Plus every cloud has a silver lining, he'll be able to enthrall girls with that time he battled a "20 foot" stingray and won lol.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wow man, a great deal amount of respect to everyone involved in this situation (except the Dominicans trying to rack up a bill). That could have been a lot worse, hope they gave him some good drugs at least!

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I am sure he will take every opportunity to tell this story to every girl he meets for the rest of his lilfe lol !!
I need to go get stung to up MY game! :D just kidding, hopefully he is not traumatized by rays now... Or getting in the water... Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
ooh a war wound story. hes gonna get LAAAAAIIIIIIDDDDD ! :D

Im gald hes ok and that his dad knew enough to keep everybody calm and had a good idea what needed to be done. well done.

i think in alot of cases the ray thrashes until the barb is either dislodged or discarded so im sure you helped loads by getting to the scene quickly and not being daunted or worried about what to do. you clearly made things quicker, easier and ultimately better. well done !

doubly well done for not being scammed by the foreign medics hoping for a quick insurance payout !

i hope your son recovers quickly and has a great story to tell and im glad this isnt being put in a bad light for stingrays :)

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I was stung by a small ray last summer. The wound was maybe a 1/4" wide and a 1/4" deep and it was a quick tag and the ray swam away. The pain was agonizing. Ive had stitches with out any anesthesia, broken bones, etc but this was by FAR the worst pain I was in. I simply can not imagine how your son felt and that is coming from a guy that has already been stung!

Did they do an xray? Its VERY important to make sure none of the barb broke off in the wound.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
You hear of these tales but it's so rare you never think much of it and think it will never happen to you or anyone you know.

I'm very pleased to hear he's ok all be it a little shaken but as Richard mentioned I think the familiarity had a large bearing on controlling your sons feelings at that time.

Speedy recovery I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for the kind words mate. It all happened so quick and the adrenilin rush in your body takes over I guess. I carried my son to the tin shack he was treated in . On a normal day I can't even lift him off the ground let alone carry him!!!
ooh a war wound story. hes gonna get LAAAAAIIIIIIDDDDD ! :D

Im gald hes ok and that his dad knew enough to keep everybody calm and had a good idea what needed to be done. well done.

i think in alot of cases the ray thrashes until the barb is either dislodged or discarded so im sure you helped loads by getting to the scene quickly and not being daunted or worried about what to do. you clearly made things quicker, easier and ultimately better. well done !

doubly well done for not being scammed by the foreign medics hoping for a quick insurance payout !

i hope your son recovers quickly and has a great story to tell and im glad this isnt being put in a bad light for stingrays :)

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks everyone again for the kind and sympathetic replies. I will be sure to keep you all posted on his progress. Today his spirits are high. Keeping his leg elevated and taking short walks around the house. Keep taking the pills and will know more next week.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Well it's been another week now since we went to the hospital so 18 days since my son was hit by the ray. He still can not walk on it very far and has to keep it elevated to stop the tingling pain in his leg and foot although this has improved a little. We went back to hospital today and the wound has become bigger, a perfect round hole about the size of a 20 pence piece or 2 cm. Dressing changed and clean up. Off the penecilin now and my son says the wound is itching wich is always a good sign. However the plastic surgeon at the hospital said if it does not show better signs of healing by next week my son will need a skin graft. Heres hoping that does not have to happen. Best of luck Josh mate. I will keep you all posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store