Stunting Anomaly

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
A 20 gallon is plenty big enough for a 1" fish. The only problem is that he should have been in a tank by himself or with his own kind to grow out. I've heard that other species of fish release different hormones that could potentially stunt the smaller fishes growth, especially in that small if a tank. If you have a bigger tank that you can move the other bigger fish to and leave him by himself, I would try that for a month and see if he grows a little. If not, he's destined to be a runt.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The more available space the better. I had two Ebjd in a 20 high for a month didn't grow any then I put em in my 40b they grew like weeds.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
The space probably isnt the problem, at 1" space isnt going to stop him from growing. Yes, more space is better but at 1" a 20T shouldnt limit him. I would focus on clean water and a better diet. Perform more frequent, larger water changes. What are you feeding him now? Provide a diverse, high quality pellet foods and supplement with plenty of quality frozen foods such as blood worms, brine shrimp or mysis.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Wait, how long have you had this dat? How are you sure it's 2 yrs.old?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
The space probably isnt the problem, at 1" space isnt going to stop him from growing. Yes, more space is better but at 1" a 20T shouldnt limit him. I would focus on clean water and a better diet. Perform more frequent, larger water changes. What are you feeding him now? Provide a diverse, high quality pellet foods and supplement with plenty of quality frozen foods such as blood worms, brine shrimp or mysis.
Bloodworms. Because he wont eat nls. Every other day. I am trying to ellimate desert all together so if he can't be pellet trained say bye bye. I do 2x 20% a week and Sunday (today) I always do a 50% wc.

Its a Jersey Thing

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
well, dont know what to say about a fish that doesnt grow past an inch in a year, let alone two. He must have missed his growth spurt.

Probably should switch his diet to wheaties and pediasure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store