suggestions on 240 stocking

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
savannah_az;4298437; said:
ok, my though process of the dwarf lion was smaller fish = smaller mouth = less danger to tankmates. as for the angel if i run across one great if not oh well. im not in a rush to get things in there quick. i just want to plan ahead now so i don't screw myself later. so are some of the larger non to mid agressive fish ok with a lion? foxface, rabbit fish, tang, etc...? anything i should avoid with an angel and/or lion
lions are usually not aggressive at all. They will defend them selfs, thats it. As far as the mouth goes, a full size lion could maybe take out a full size clown. They really are boring fish, that sit around waiting to be hand fed. I would get a less aggressive angel, like a french or blueface... Stay away from queens etc.. They could nip your lion and torture it to death. Angels are known to get nippy especially the big aggressive ones. Everything is going to be trail and error with predators, but there is a percentage to play by. Each fish will have a better % of getting along with another, sometimes specific fish, and sometimes species..

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
are theyre any species or types of "community" that come to mind off the top of your head that can handle themselves around a predator? i figure i have to have some guidelins before just looking at every fish on the compatability sheet.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
wrasses
hogs
lionfish
scoripion fish
tangs
triggers
puffers
file fish
toadfish (some)
angels
Some larger gobies
larger clownfish
foxface
Giant and larger hawkfish
groupers
marine betta
snappers
look downs
goat fish

There are plenty of others, but this is just the list i could come up with on the top of my head

snow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
B.C.,Canada
I'm also setting up a tank like yours but smaller, I would go with a lionfish first. Not sure what kind you can get in your area but get a larger species for sure. Apparently the dwarf kind is harder to take care of and not the best first fish. I would get a lion first b/c they are usually a easier type of fish to keep when setting up your tank. Before though you add your second fish make sure you have a good feeding routine with your lionfish b/c when it comes feeding time and you have a fish like a grouper which seems to be the oscars of saltwater they will out compete your lionfish for the food.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
i have access to anything. small town in the middle of nowhere, but i can get to north phoenix within an hour and a half. what species do you recommend?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
savannah_az;4303708; said:
i have access to anything. small town in the middle of nowhere, but i can get to north phoenix within an hour and a half. what species do you recommend?
All lions are hardy. The fu man chu is the only one that is reported difficult. I have never heard of the dwarf having issues. I only see an issue of him being to small and you getting bored of him in such a big tank. I would shoot for a volitan red or black if you where dead set on getting a lion fish;)

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Fuzzy Lionfish, some kind of moray, angel, and maybe some other cool fish

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
i do like the look of the zebra morays. guessing that might be safe from what i read? any suggestions as to the "other fish" part?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store