Sulking Oscar, or something more sinister?

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
So now I'm thinking that I might be dealing with Hex after doing some research. I've read many posts on here and that sounds like what's going on. I'm going to try the Epsom salt treatment first, but since he isn't eating I guess I am going to have to force feed him. Does anyone know if a metronidazole bath will help? I really don't want to add any meds to my main tank and am concerned about the meds affecting my biological filter and my other fish.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Re: my last post, why I think it's hex- I've noticed white stringy poo, he's not eating, if he tries to eat he takes in the pellet and spits it out, he seems to be thin, has never grown like the others. He came from Petco, (a spur of the moment decision) and the rest came from my LFS. He seems to be taking a turn for the worst, so I thought I'd give it a shot and try the hex treatment.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Metro can be used as a bath, the preferred method is in food but can be effective as a bath. If you do treat for hex check out Hexshield, the fish seem to like the pellets.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
You could try tetra parasite gaurd
I was debating that or the seachem metroplex. I might end up going with the paraguard since it has meds along with the metro. More of a broad spectrum since I don't know exactly what's going on

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Metro can be used as a bath, the preferred method is in food but can be effective as a bath. If you do treat for hex check out Hexshield, the fish seem to like the pellets.
I know it's solubility in water isn't so great. I've seen the hex shield, that's NLS right? He's completely not eating now, so either way I'm going to have to force feed it. Would it hurt to soak the hex shield in an Epsom salt solution to make them soft and feed that?
Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I'm up for trying anything at this point.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Soaking would make sense to me....Check out the YouTube video by Jay Hemdal on force feeding, if you are interested

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Soaking would make sense to me....Check out the YouTube video by Jay Hemdal on force feeding, if you are interested
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
So I've set him up in a hospital tank, I'm dosing the water with metroplex and giving him oral Epsom salt. Hoping for the best

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I agree with breaking to pellets, quality pellet should be main diet, any thing else a treat and no more than twice a week. I soak freeze dried krill in boyds vite-chem over night, but again this a treat and should not be main diet, also krill and such very high in protein, this will negatively impact your nitrates making it creep or climb faster. I only feed these kind of treats the day before water changes for this reason. as for him hanging at the bottom corner and such? sounds like he got owned. there does not have to be dmg showing when a fish gets dominated. few lost lip locks and its over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store