Switching to the darkside.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Sweetang, that is the kind of info I was looking for, the kind not google-able. Thanks! The Jebo is compact, the bent ones. It's sleek and silver in color. 72 watts for 50 buck seemed a good deal, I think they mis-labeled it.

I set-up the tank using tap water. Added some sand and got a small submersible filter going. I think I'll let it sit like this until the nitrate, phosphate and ammonia level off. Should I keep the lights going like I would on a FW planted tank?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
well you can if you want and sometimes its a good idea just because this will help that initial algae spike. I hate to inform you but your really going to have a hard time with this project if you continue using tap water. The material in the water is just not that good for coral, and causes a lot of unwanted algae. I would consider strongly getting RO or even distilled water. if you get distilled the stuff from the grocery store is plenty fine.

The lights look fine and will work well for you. make sure you monitor your temp on the regular to avoid the aid in bleaching coral. Bleaching is when all the pigment or algae die from the coral. This is a dead coral mind you because the algae is mostly what they rely on for food. Also watch your evaporation level. if you lose to much water too fast then this will cause a huge rise in salinity and this will also effect your fish and corals. salt tanks require a lot of research and know how and if i were you i would start getting into the books and learning about water, corals and fish. Understanding the basic to lighting and temp control, and how to control the amount of nutrients in the water all make and break the salt hobby. understanding these basic concepts and more, will allow your to keep a tank of healthy inhabitants.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
that 2x36w will work well, i like the way jebo lights look, even though they are supposed to be lower quality i wouldn't mind getting one for my tank. a good skimmer can help you tank greatly, it's had to find a good one for smaller tanks though, if you had a sump it's a lot easier to find a good one. right now i'm playing with a PS75 skimmer, it was only $42 shipped and has given my 3 cups of skimmate in 2 days, although it was very light green watery skimmate but i have a feeling it'll improve once i break it in and get it tuned right.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Yeah from now on all water going in will be distilled water. Once the water is cycled, what organism would be suitable for it? There is 10 LBs of live-sand and 10 LBs of Fiji rock. I'd like some kind of shrimp and a tiny goby that looks nice and doesn't get large or aggressive. Will things grow out of my rock? I already see tiny feathery things swaying in the current, and there are purple spots all over the main one. and some dull yellow (looks like paste).

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
The rock sounds very healthy. Purple is probably coraline algae. the good stuff. You will start to see alot of that growing on the glass and rock of the tank. Thats a good sign. your tank will take a few weeks before its ready to stock. After about a week i say you could add your small clean up crew. After about 3 weeks then add your first fish, provided the water is healty still. get in the habit of testing your water for now, its a good thing to know as well. There are many params of a salt tank that will be a good idea to test, exspecially with coral and what not.

My favorite small goby is the Clown Goby. these little guys perch on mushroom corals and the like all the time. They look awsome swimming around on the rock and corals. My second favorite would be the watchman. And if you get a watchman you must get a pistol shrimp. Awsome relationship between the two.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Yeah I wanted to get a cleaner shrimp or two. I heard snails bother corals and other animals (later on when I get polyps). I really want a anemone shrimp, or the sexy shrimp though, they seem interesting. As for fish, I don't think I will keep fish in this tank, I might go all inverts.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
IMO, go for it. You might find a hard time with trying to find a good filter and then a skimmer. lol. i dont know if there all that great but its better then nothing. Whats the cost on one of them??

With the shrimp and things your will have a lot of options. Right now my mix is a coral banded, 2 skunk or scarlet cleaner, 2 perppermint, and a pistol shrimp. The emporer or blood shrimp is coming up and then 4 annem shrimp are on the way from a friend of mine. Im going to have a lot in one tank lol, but when i get the 180 and 125 going ill have plenty to go around lol.

As far as your tank goes, hows the water testing. How many days has it been running??

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Today is the 3rd day running, so that is why I haven't done any water tests on it. I plan on doing a water test on the first week mark, and writing everything down (including salinity and temp) just so I use them for later on.

The filter/skimmer duo by Rio is 26.99 online, at the store, 50 bucks. I am going to order that one then.

This is going to be a LLLLOOOONNNGGG month. Day 3 and I'm already brainstorming.

About to post pics from day one all up til today.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Day one
Filled using tap water, gravity @ 1.024, temp @ 79

Day two
Added 10 LBS of live rock (Fiji)

Day 3, water clearing up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com