Talk to me about gymnogeophagus balzani

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Don’t think these are balzani. I think they’re Herotilapia- you may want to move them
Over….

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Don’t think these are balzani. I think they’re Herotilapia- you may want to move them
Over….
Agree, they look like H. Multispinossa.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
While not balzanii, I have had gymno labiatus for about 7 months now. I keep them in my kitchen in an unheated 4ft 75gallon. I bought a group of 10 at 1.5in and was unlucky with my ratio, ending up with 7 male & three female. I keep them with serpae tetra and paleatus cories. They’ve reached adult size at this point and I def think I have a few too many in the tank. Females stay tiny, but male gymnos can fill up a tank fast. If my ratio were reversed, it would look better. So I’d go with three males, you’ll have one dominant that gets the interesting head shape and two subdominant. Then 5-6 females. I’ve noticed my male labiatus lose the unique head shape when they’re not in breeding mode. So they’ll grow the shape, keep it for 2 weeks & then it goes away until they’re ready again. I’ve been surprised by how little affect the colder wintertime temp of the tank has had on their activity level. They seem completely unchanged

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Of course they are not, the last few posts have been about ditching the idea of getting balzani, and replacing them with H. multispinosa.
Hahaha I had just read those other 2 posts about the rainbow cichlids.

I cant delete my posts anymore due to the time limit, but you can if you don’t mind

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store