Tank leaked 50 gallons on carpet smell is bad

jccaclimber

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2012
Lafayette, Indiana
This isn't directly applicable to your situation, but I figure I'm adding it here in case it helps anyone else.
I came home once from a weekend out of town to find an inch of water in my 55, and a lot of water in the carpet of my second floor apartment. The first floor under me fortunately was my garage, so no complaints from neighbors. Being late Sunday evening I simply spent 2 hours walking around with towels, put out a fan, and turned my apartment air conditioning on really cold so that it would run all night and dry the air out.
The next morning I turned on the heat (moving to warm and now dry air), and spent $25 renting a carpet cleaner. Went over a 10 foot radius from the tank with lots of soap in the cleaner twice, then went over it another two times to try to suck the water out (the real reason I'd rented the thing). 24 hours later everything was dry, and nothing had started smelling yet. I also threw down some Febreze in liberal quantities, although I have no idea if it did anything. I moved out within the year, but the place never molded or smelled during humid or dry weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store