Tank reseal and top rim help?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Look Fishguy, I understand your reasoning for advising people against doing their own reseal/rebuild, and you're putting up a good argument, but to say that leakages are imminent.......now that is your own opinion.....not fact. Buying a brand new tank does not guarantee you 0% failures (such as leakage) a couple of years down the line. If you look at it that way, then all glued together fish aquariums are time bombs, new or used.

Its fine to try dissuade people from doing this to help them from getting into a bad situation, which is very noble and altruistic of you, but there's no need to try and shove your opinions down peoples' throats. Lets just share our opinions and keep those ego in check.
It is hardly an opinion. A leak means a compromised seam. Compromised seams will eventually give out. Putting a band aid where stitches are needed may stop the bleeding for a bit but it is hardly a permanent fix. And no, buying a new tank does not ensure success, tank builders can have bad days just as anyone can, look at Marineland, they were recently bought out and their quality has gone down hill, they are having leaks all over the place. That said, I would still sleep better at night with a new tank than one with a half way done repair job.

Also, OP said the seams were dried out. If the corner beads are dry I would say it is safe to assume that the silicone between the glass is dried out as well. Some here seem keen to disagree but that inner silicone is all that holds a tank together, if it is dry and cracking putting more silicone over the top of it will not hold the tank together.

You have got to be kidding me INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST. If you really had rebuilt 40 or 50 tanks as you say and had actually done some research you would know the physics behind this. Lets tank an example besides an aquarium. You are building a wooden box out of plywood and wood glue. Where would you put the glue at? It sure as heck would not be into the corners, you would put it between the two pieces of wood. Glue in the corners would add nothing to the strength of the box you are building. Same exact situation with aquariums.

As for your comment
Well now you are talking about 2 different things here.... wood and wood glue have nothing to do with a aquarium and silicone!!!! If I wanted to make a wood box I would build a 2x2 or 2x4 frame for it then cover it in plywood, I sure would not try to glue the plywood together!!!

But I'm not even going to sit here and get into this with you because you basically just called me a liar and said I live in my mothers basement!!! My mom died 5 years ago so I don't think I live in her basement... I have owned the home I live in for 10 years now and had 3 others before this one!!! SO ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

And no I won't laugh my butt off at anything because I did not say the way you do it is wrong... Actually that is the best way to do it but in most cases it is overkill and not necessary!!!! He was asking about resealing his tank not making one from scratch!!!

Again make a tank and just put the silicone between the glass and not on the inside and see how that works for you... Prove me wrong since you know everything!!! Or stop giving people bad advice and then trying to put someone down and talking $hit about them because they don't agree with your way of doing things!!!!
Well yes, they are two different materials, that I will not argue. But you are complicating the analogy. I never said that gluing the plywood together was the best method for building a wooden box, I was simply comparing the method of bonding the materials together. I am not sure on your carpentry skills, however lets forgo the framing and screws. You are putting together a jewelry box for your wife or daughter, you would glue it between the two pieces of wood, not in the corner of the two. Sure, you may smooth it out where it oozes out from between, but the majority of the glue will be between the two pieces of wood. An aquarium is no different. Sure, the glue bonds to the wood differently than silicone to glass but the idea is the same. Between the two panels is where the strength comes from. The silicone in the corners is simply there to protect the real bond between the glass from fish, salt, algae scrapers and whatever else. I have seen many tanks made in the past without the corner bead. Would I recommend it, no, but not for the reasons you suggest.

A few points you are wrong on, I did say not directed at you on the mothers basement comment. I figured having tanks for 25 or 30 years you would have your own home, something to be proud of. Not many people are able to do so in this day and age sadly. I simply made this comment because many people on this site are very young. There is nothing wrong with that, it is great that they want to learn, however many are eager to give out bad advice. When corrected they get defensive and do not wish to learn the science behind it, they are content spreading bad information.

I do not claim to know everything, far from it in fact. And what I do not know I am eager to learn about. That said, tank building and construction is something I know a great deal about. I considered my own tank building business but ultimately decided it would not be worth the time and effort to do so. I would be happy to give in on this, however all anyone besides me has posted is opinions, at least I have posted a link to back myself up.

But I give up and am done. If anyone wants to know more about this stuff please feel free to PM me, I am happy to share what I know. I dont wish to be banned so this is hardly worth continuing. OP, best of luck to you, I hope the tank does not fail on you. Please strongly consider buying a replacement instead, they can be purchased for cheap.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Sorry to cause all the grief here guys.
No need to be sorry, we are just some people who disagree (perhaps a bit too) strongly. We all just want to see the tank work out for you. Discussion can be good. I do apologize, I know I have gotten a bit heated which is why I will be stepping out. Hope it works out for you! Be sure to post pics when you are done!

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Sorry to cause all the grief here guys.
No need to be sorry Joe.. I apologize for Hyjaking your Thread, I just don't lie it when people try to tell you their way is the only right way to do something...

Millions of tanks have been resealed without being taken apart to do it and have great success and never leak again!!! But as you see how he said it " everyone else just post opinions he is the only one who is right"...

Sorry again buddy, good luck with your tank however you decide to do it... Just make sure you get ALL the old silicone off the glass because the new will not stick to the old!!!!

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I got into this same exact argument with him... and also successfully resealed a couple tanks that have been fine for years. As he says, its an eventuality that they'll leak.. well guess what?! You can say that about a brand new tank! If there is silicon at all in the equation.. it'll eventually fail. Silicon is always slowly degrading.

If it was a rimless tank... then that would be about the only instance I would consider a full breakdown just to be able to replace that interior silicon. Because the full breakdown would be much easier.. and there isn't the presence of the trim to prevent the catastrophic failure if the seal did come loose.

Oh yeah, and then there is that... it won't just fail! It'll be a catastrophic failure every time even on a tank with trim.

He's says its not opinion, but it very much is opinion that a full break down is the only way to reseal a tank when it is a dramatic increase of time, expense and risk over just doing the interior seal which hundreds of people have done successfully on this site. I have never heard of this impending catastrophic failure either.. even on people who flubbed up and it ended up leaking again.

Here's an opinion... if you can't reseal it successfully by only doing the interior seal... then you'll fail miserably and probably spectacularly trying to do a full breakdown sealing. THEN I could see a catastrophic failure... or a cut wrist, broken glass and a mess to clean up.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Here's an opinion... if you can't reseal it successfully by only doing the interior seal... then you'll fail miserably and probably spectacularly trying to do a full breakdown sealing. THEN I could see a catastrophic failure... or a cut wrist, broken glass and a mess to clean up.
LMAO... I could not agree with you more!! If you can't do it the easy way how the heck are you going to take the whole tank apart and get it back together successfully???
Years ago I had 2 LFS here in town that would refer anybody with a leaking tank to me to repair them and I would give them a little kick back for sending me the work, So I have done at least 50 to 60 tanks and never had anyone complain about the tank leaking again!!

And I sure don't mind hearing someone's opinion on something and always eager to learn new better things but when you tell me something I have been successfully doing for many years will never work, and everyone else is wrong and you are the only one who is right I right then don't care to hear anything else you have to say!!!!

I still want him to post a video of him building a tank with no silicone on the inside.... LOL... Lets see how that works out for him... LMAO... That is like saying the shingles on the roof of your house is not what keeps the roof from leaking those are just there to protect the felt paper under them because that is what keeps it from leaking!!!! Try it once without those shingles and see how that works for you!!!! LOL....

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Ok, I said I was going to sit out but if you guys cant be grown ups about this I'm not going to sit by while you bash me like 12 year olds. From what I can tell, you are grown men, would appreciate if you acted like it.

I got into this same exact argument with him... and also successfully resealed a couple tanks that have been fine for years. As he says, its an eventuality that they'll leak.. well guess what?! You can say that about a brand new tank! If there is silicon at all in the equation.. it'll eventually fail. Silicon is always slowly degrading.
I never said a new tank couldn't leak, they often do. Look at Marineland tanks as of late, they suck and leak left and right. Completely agree silicone is always breaking down which is exactly why you want to add the inner layer of it. It protects the bead between the glass. That way when silicone in the corner is old and in bad shape it can be replace without doing the whole tank. That said, the tank cannot be leaking at this point because then you have a different issue. Leaking means the silicone between the glass is bad, not the silicone in the corners. Bad seam between the glass equals a failed seem down the road.

If it was a rimless tank... then that would be about the only instance I would consider a full breakdown just to be able to replace that interior silicon. Because the full breakdown would be much easier.. and there isn't the presence of the trim to prevent the catastrophic failure if the seal did come loose.

Oh yeah, and then there is that... it won't just fail! It'll be a catastrophic failure every time even on a tank with trim.
If you knew much about tanks you would know that that the rim down nothing for holding the glass together or preventing leaks. The rim is in place to keep the glass from bowing. It makes it so that tank manufactures can use thinner (thinner=cheaper) glass, thus lowering their costs. This is why rimless tanks require thicker glass so that they have a higher safety factor. If a panel of glass comes loose the rim wont do anything to hold it in place.

He's says its not opinion, but it very much is opinion that a full break down is the only way to reseal a tank when it is a dramatic increase of time, expense and risk over just doing the interior seal which hundreds of people have done successfully on this site. I have never heard of this impending catastrophic failure either.. even on people who flubbed up and it ended up leaking again.

Just because you haven't heard of something does not mean it isn't a potential issue. I feel like what you don't know is quite large you genius you. Oh yeah, I did see your original post. I appreciate you editing it but you were a little late on that.

I never said that it would happen right away, but having a damaged (leaking) seal between the glass means that the strength of the tank is no longer there. Putting a band aid over the top of the damage may have it. And I don't see how taking apart a tank is going to result in all of those issues. Sure, if you are clumsy you can break the glass, but past that it is just carelessness that leads to those other issues. Taking apart a tank is not hard, it just takes a lot of time and effort. I also said that I don't recommend resealing a tank if you recall. There are a lot of potential issues involved with it. That said, if someone is going to do so I would rather that they minimize the risk of new leaks or the tank giving out.

LMAO... I could not agree with you more!! If you can't do it the easy way how the heck are you going to take the whole tank apart and get it back together successfully???
Years ago I had 2 LFS here in town that would refer anybody with a leaking tank to me to repair them and I would give them a little kick back for sending me the work, So I have done at least 50 to 60 tanks and never had anyone complain about the tank leaking again!!
First off I want to make sure, is your ass still attached? It seems to fall off due to laughing quite often. Probably something you want to ask your doctor about.

Second, that is one shady lfs if they trust you to do that, I'd be scared of potential lawsuits. I'd be pissed if I found out my tank was patched instead of resealed.

And I sure don't mind hearing someone's opinion on something and always eager to learn new better things but when you tell me something I have been successfully doing for many years will never work, and everyone else is wrong and you are the only one who is right I right then don't care to hear anything else you have to say!!!!
You sure do yell a lot, has anyone told you that?

I also never said that it wouldn't work, I just said eventually that seam would eventually give out once it starts leaking. It could be tomorrow, it could also be 10 years from now. I just prefer to not have a time bomb in my house around my family. Why risk it? Sure it takes a bit more work but I would rather do the full job than a partial one.

I still want him to post a video of him building a tank with no silicone on the inside.... LOL... Lets see how that works out for him... LMAO... That is like saying the shingles on the roof of your house is not what keeps the roof from leaking those are just there to protect the felt paper under them because that is what keeps it from leaking!!!! Try it once without those shingles and see how that works for you!!!! LOL....
Now what would I do that? You said above that you don't care to hear anything I have to say, why would I waste the time and money to do that for you? I have seen several example on this site, there was one just a couple months ago about someone buying a 125 I believe that didn't have the corner bead, wanting to know if it would hold. And guess what? Hold it did. If you go over to some reef forums there are several more examples. It gives a cleaner look, something the reef guys tend to prefer.

As for the shingles example, that is a pretty terrible comparison. It has nothing even remotely similar to this situation. Good try though! LMAO!!!! Oops, there goes my butt too! Guess it is contagious!

If you actually did a bit of research you would see that the corner bead is just there for protecting the inner silicone. Elos Aquariums dont have the corner bead, here is their website-

http://www.elosaquariums.com/

It shows a close up of their seems on at least of of their designs page
Clean_edge.png

Now will you believe a major aquarium manufacturer? Probably not since it came from me, but oh well, your choice to remain ignorant.

Clean_edge.png

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Ok, I said I was going to sit out but if you guys cant be grown ups about this I'm not going to sit by while you bash me like 12 year olds. From what I can tell, you are grown men, would appreciate if you acted like it.
LOL I knew this was coming

The "ego monster" always prevails to get the last word in LOL

Peace out

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
The ego monster? I'm sorry that I am going to stand up for myself. If someone is going to act like a jerk towards me or insult me I'm not going to lay down and take it. If that is your policy more power to you but when it gets personal I will not tolerate it.

You may disagree with me and that is fine, as I've said several times no matter how much proof that I post you guys will not see my side, I understand that, but I will not take being insulted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store