Tank Size for Adult Clown Knife Fish

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
As you may have seen in my other post on glass thickness in the other channels on this forum... I am building a 7ft tank in my basement... this is to house my, now juvenile, Oscars X 3 & Clown Knifefish X 1.

I was wondering what the acceptable tank size would be for a Clown knifefish when its fully grown.

I have heard that they can attain about 60cm (24") in aquaria... and ours has doubled in size from 10cm to 20cm in the space of about 3 weeks!!!
But this isnt always the case I presume... and im sure that genetically some just are smaller.

I have been pricing different options for 7ft tanks... thinking of building my own, but have found aquarium manufactirers who make both the tank, sump and stands and will work out cheaper than my homebuild for just a tank and stand.

The one I am interested in perhaps buying from a manufacturer is:
84" X 24" X 24" (725litres) 12mm glass

Is this adequate for my clown knifefish considering that it will grow to be 24" long and the tank is 24" wide?

What size would you recommend?

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
I would go with at least a 30" wide tank seeing as they are capable of growing much larger than 24".

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
tank atleast 36" or bigger dont they get over 40" if so then a tank atleast 48 deep

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
hmmm...

Well Im not sure that I can do a 35" - 40" wide tank in the space I got...
Im renovating my basement at the moment to fit my music studio in (I produce mostly electronic music and have loads of audio gear, synths, drum machines, samplers etc...).
Anyways i thought that it would be a good idea to move my fish into this room as it has a cement floor and can take the heavy load.
it may just prove to be a bad idea though, mixing 1000 litres of water and my recording studio equipment hehe!

I measured everything out yesterday and 84" X24" X 30" is gonna be fine and still leave me with adequate space... but in all honesty if I got to 40" its gonna make it a little cramped in my basement and double the price of the tank.

looks like i may have to find a new home for my knifefish afterall :(

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
Just give it the best home that you can, like tank size on all monsters...bigger is always better.

Most clowns kept in captivity only reach 24-30" long anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store