Tankmates for Polys

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
This is my current stock in my 210g
H. Pearsei x1, Paraneetroplus regani x1, Red Bay Snook x1, Hoplo cat x1, Rhino Pleco x1, Bichirs: Delhezi x1, weeksii x1

My cichlids are totally mild but big eaters so I have to put in food when lights go out for the rest. The pleco does fine with the bichir but will on occasion get territorial. I plan on putting in one more pleco (L114) and see how they do. I know pleco and bichir are not recommended but I have not had any major issues and keep everyone well fed and lots of places for each to claim as their own.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
As long as you keep the polys well fed and done put them with any outrageously smaller fish then then or vice versa you should be fine

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
I have told some my stock and some get bent out of shape lol

my stock

1 BP
1 EBJD
1 S Bichir
1 Discus
2 red jewels
1 frontosa
1 rainbow Shark
1 Pakistani loach
1 Clown Loach

shockingly it works the only fish that don't like being in each other's space are the jewels and JD...of course

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I'm successfully keeping 5 angels, 5 tinfoil barbs, a BGK, tiretrack eel and a dojo loach with 3 senegals and 2 rope fish. The senegals and ropefish are all under a foot but get along great with everyone. The eel is the most aggressive and will sometimes nip at one of the ropefish or senegals, but does no damage because of the thick skin of the polys and the none teeth beak of the eel. I once watched the eel attack a ropefish and the ropefish didn't even flinch when it was "bitten". Kinda funny.

I did also have a 10" tropical gar in there with all of them, but he was getting too aggressive for the angels so he got rehomed to another tank.

I did have issues with the larger senegal and previous BGKs though. Gyarados has eaten 2 BGK's that were half his size. The current one is the same size as him and there are no signs of aggression at all.

As for my lower jaw species, I'd like to put the tinfoil barbs in with them, but the tank is heavily planted and those barbs are lawnmowers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store