Tankmates for Polys

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Had my senegals with congo's with no problems (sen's 10" congo's 3").

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Sens are usually easier to keep smaller sized tank mates with. They aren't very agressive compared to other polys and their mouths seem to be smaller in relation to their body. I know my 9" sen has a smaller head/mouth than my 8" ornate.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I've got ctenopomas, rope fish, and a synodontis ocellifer with my upper jaws currently. Haven't had any problems although the large male cteno (5.5 inches) can be aggressive to the polys. Used to have an african brown knife which didn't work out; the senegal attacked it repeatedly so I had to rehome it. Also tried Congo tetras hoping they would be fast enough to survive in a heavily planted tank until they were full sized. They didn't last 2 weeks.

I definitely wouldn't try plecos with bichirs again. If they ever get the taste for slime coat they'll end up harassing, and in some instances, killing the bichirs to eat their slime coats.
When the finger point, and a stern "NO" failed, I am now trying to "unlearn" my Bichir slime sucking pleco with the old Catholic Nun disciplinary trick.

An old black plastic strip that held the two sides of a 20G long tanks glass lid makes a perfect "stick" for whacking the Pleco. I hope it gets the message soon before I really hurt the thing!

PLECOS "SUCK"!!!!!

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
My geophagus get along pretty good with the bichirs. I have a dwarf synodontis in with them too, other than occasionally trying to annoy the bichirs he's pretty benign. In fact, the cichlids, bichirs and synodontis all share caves in giant snuggle piles.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I had a few barbs with bichirs. I find that if a fish is bigger than the bichirs, they kinda leave it alone. The barbs, on the other hand, pissed off the bichirs enough that they eventually turned around and gutted them. Hah.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Do you guys think that a pair of convicts would do well with a couple of 7+ inch Senegal bichirs and a dwarf Synodontis? I am considering taking a trade for some as my plan to get a bigger aquarium for the geo's didn't pan out (I got laid off)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store