tanning?

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
Tanned reds have better color, the orange/red is deeper.
They do develop naturally but it will take several years, as mentioned above, and less nice than tanned fish.

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Nobody has mentioned genetics. The genetics of the fish - how pure a blood line it has, whether the farm practices strict line-breeding - is key to getting a good quality red.

Rhomadeas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2013
Belleville, ON, Canada
Don't do anything that may harm your fish - or make it blind.
I just feed mine and enjoy it. I don't compare it to what everyone else has although there are more colorful strains. Mine greets me whenever I come near the tank, and that's a feeling independent on it's color or whether anyone else thinks it's a nice fish. I didn't pay umpteen thousand dollars for it but the enjoyment I get from watching it gracefully glide around the tank is immeasurable. That's why I'm in this hobby.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I just feed mine and enjoy it. I don't compare it to what everyone else has although there are more colorful strains. Mine greets me whenever I come near the tank, and that's a feeling independent on it's color or whether anyone else thinks it's a nice fish. I didn't pay umpteen thousand dollars for it but the enjoyment I get from watching it gracefully glide around the tank is immeasurable. That's why I'm in this hobby.
Very nicely put indeed

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jettefrances17

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
clifton nj
Tanning red or gold arowanas is a common practice within the asian culture. It is an integral part of the grooming process. Serious hobbyists consider their arowanas a part of their family and they only want the best for them. Their owners are like trainers or coaches who will strive to do anything in their power for the fish to achieve its full potential. Years and years have been dedicated to the research when it comes to the subject of tanning and while some people might find it cruel to expose the animal in 24 hours of intense lighting, it has also been proven to be very effective.

Chen_JunJie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2015
Kaohsiung
Well said!.

Rhomadeas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2013
Belleville, ON, Canada
I wonder where the idea comes from that tanning hurts or blinds the fish?
For starters, fish can't close their eyes. They can swim to cover and shield themselves once they've had enough; confining your fish in a tank with nowhere to hide can hurt them. Put some toothpicks in your eyes and go out on a bright day if you don't know what I mean.

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
i dont think the sun and a T8 tube are quite te same. I understand that it appears to be no good on the eyes, but i personally havent seen any signs (in bahaviour) that it hurts the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store