Terrible Aquarium Advice

Corydoras aeneus

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2016
Howdy, and welcome to MFK.

While this might be entertaining, why don't you share good advice and turn your first thread into a productive and helpful contribution to the hobby?

What do you wish you had been told by fish store staff instead of nonsense?
Well, I kind of wanted to make this entertaining topic so that beginner fishkeepers can view this topic to not follow any of the advice, I'm hoping it works :p

Some person at the place I work at bought freshwater angelfish and celestial goldfish together, all for a 30 gallon tank :/

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Well, I kind of wanted to make this entertaining topic so that beginner fishkeepers can view this topic to not follow any of the advice, I'm hoping it works :p

Some person at the place I work at bought freshwater angelfish and celestial goldfish together, all for a 30 gallon tank :/
Angelfish can live alone, but prefer at least one more Angel to live with. I had 2 Angels, and after losing one to ich, the other seemed depressed. She didn't act the same. Her personality changed, and she didn't even eat as aggressively. At this point I have 4 Angels in the tank, and she has been swimming with my koi Angel. She seems a lot happier.

Goldfish are messy. I wish that person good luck with the combination.

Reactions: Corydoras aeneus

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
some guy here once told me to sucker punch my midevil to help curb his aggression towards me

lol

Corydoras aeneus

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2016
I've had to tell various people that "cleaner fish" are a myth and that plecos need not just food scraps but vegetables and algae wafers... :/ Also the fact that they get quite large

Angelfish can live alone, but prefer at least one more Angel to live with. I had 2 Angels, and after losing one to ich, the other seemed depressed. She didn't act the same. Her personality changed, and she didn't even eat as aggressively. At this point I have 4 Angels in the tank, and she has been swimming with my koi Angel. She seems a lot happier.
Well she did get a pair but not sure if they're still alive due to excessive ammonia in the tank

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I've had to tell various people that "cleaner fish" are a myth and that plecos need not just food scraps but vegetables and algae wafers... :/ Also the fact that they get quite large

Well she did get a pair but not sure if they're still alive due to excessive ammonia in the tank
Those two Angels I talked about were in my first tank, a twenty long. Sine I listened to my mother's advice, it was uncycled for about 3-4 months. Those two Angels survived the whole time. The only reason one got ich was because I introduced a fish with ich into my tank. I still have the other one, and I've had her since she was the size of a dime. Now her body is about 4" and including fins she's at least 8" tall.

This was her when I first got her. She's in the top right corner. This was the only pic I could find of her around that time. Sorry about that.
1449266286617 (1).jpg

Her now.20160608_152326.jpg 20160608_152303.jpg

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Those two Angels I talked about were in my first tank, a twenty long. Sine I listened to my mother's advice, it was uncycled for about 3-4 months. Those two Angels survived the whole time. The only reason one got ich was because I introduced a fish with ich into my tank. I still have the other one, and I've had her since she was the size of a dime. Now her body is about 4" and including fins she's at least 8" tall.

This was her when I first got her. She's in the top right corner. This was the only pic I could find of her around that time. Sorry about that.
View attachment 1194800

Her now.View attachment 1194801 View attachment 1194802
I guess I missed the point... She wasn't kept in the best conditions at first, but I ended up with a big healthy fish now.

I'm not saying the person who just bought those two Angels will have the same luck. I consider myself very lucky to have any fish survive 4 months of very high ammonia. As I said before, I wish her luck with that that. She'll need it.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Here's some bad advice to contribute to thread... I had twice the amount of fish in my 20 long when I first got them then when I took the picture of it. The employee at PetSmart told me everything I wanted would be fine in the tank... 10+ fish. I know better now. Don't overstock an uncycled tank... Two worst things mixed together...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store