The 240 Is finally up and running!!!

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
smpage;4317462; said:
are you doing waterchanges yet? Really helps the sand settle.

funny u say that! I just got back from walmart and picked up a lees " direct from aquarium to sink" ultimate grave vac. I'm about to rip into the box a try this baby out. Ill prob do a 70 percent water change. Now lets see how long it takes haha

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
zebvance;4317474; said:
funny u say that! I just got back from walmart and picked up a lees " direct from aquarium to sink" ultimate grave vac. I'm about to rip into the box a try this baby out. Ill prob do a 70 percent water change. Now lets see how long it takes haha
Yeah When I switched to sand in my 120 gallon, I had to do about five 70% waterchanges before it was clear. It helps to get rid of all the floating particles that didn't get rinsed out previously. You'll never have problems with floating sand in the future if you do it this way.

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
When i added silica sand to my tank, I CLEANED/RINSED IT FIRST before I added it. Did not cloud my tank what so ever!

Lessoned learned I guess.

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
alexmuw;4317887; said:
When i added silica sand to my tank, I CLEANED/RINSED IT FIRST before I added it. Did not cloud my tank what so ever!

Lessoned learned I guess.
Cleaned and rinsed mine first as well. Rinsed it for a few hours before putting in the tank. I used Playsand which is much dirtier than other types of sand and quite a few brands of sand will not rinse completely clean. Thanks for pointing out that rinsing and cleaning beforehand is an important step though!

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
ya I rinsed it but not long enough I guess. Im filling it back up right now after the first change and from what i can tell the first water change has made a big difference. I can see the intake pipes of the xp3s now, before I couldnt.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
just opened up the xp3's and surprisingly they were not dirty at all

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
We need a pic once it clears up, That's gonna look awesome! :popcorn: