The Elephant in the Living Room

livelymc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
United Kingdom
I disagree that u have to be well educated to keep exotic species. U just need to be educated in the animal. Reponsible dedicated people is more a term I would agree on

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
I have not seen this film, but I'm downloading it now in order to formulate my own opinion on the matter.

I finally watched Grizzly Man the other night, talk about the greatest unintentional comedy..
*aaaarrrggg*

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

agirard2003

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
Belle River, Ontario, Canada
I disagree that u have to be well educated to keep exotic species. U just need to be educated in the animal. Reponsible dedicated people is more a term I would agree on

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I completely agree with your statement. Many times people rush out to get an animal they either saw or heard about etc. and don't take time to fully research the animal...

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
I know this is an older thread but didn't want to make a new one for the movie. I think the overall thing I got from this film (as I have with many other documentaries on owning exotic animals) is certain exotic species should not be in captivity. Lets face it, who actually has the funds/time to properly care for and properly maintain a fully grown Lion, Tiger, Mountain Lion, Hyena or Chimp for the rest of their lives? These animals need more then just a big water bowl, plastic ball toys and a "big" cage to be happy. They were meant to roam vast distances and be wild. I'm sure there are people out there who spend big bucks to make sure that animal has acres to roam on and given proper stimulation besides homemade toys but there are many more who have them on concrete slab cages who barely give them the care they need, then neglect and dump them because they can't care for them. I know that has to do with them being easily accessible, which is a huge problem in itself, but the point is they shouldn't be allowed to be in captivity in the first place. I can see if they were being held captive to be bred and released into the wild to help boost wild populations, which would be great but they aren't. Most of the time it's for egotistical reasons, not for the species well being.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
mmm getting ready to watch Black Fish...ill have to add this to the list as well.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I know this is an older thread but didn't want to make a new one for the movie. I think the overall thing I got from this film (as I have with many other documentaries on owning exotic animals) is certain exotic species should not be in captivity. Lets face it, who actually has the funds/time to properly care for and properly maintain a fully grown Lion, Tiger, Mountain Lion, Hyena or Chimp for the rest of their lives? These animals need more then just a big water bowl, plastic ball toys and a "big" cage to be happy. They were meant to roam vast distances and be wild. I'm sure there are people out there who spend big bucks to make sure that animal has acres to roam on and given proper stimulation besides homemade toys but there are many more who have them on concrete slab cages who barely give them the care they need, then neglect and dump them because they can't care for them. I know that has to do with them being easily accessible, which is a huge problem in itself, but the point is they shouldn't be allowed to be in captivity in the first place. I can see if they were being held captive to be bred and released into the wild to help boost wild populations, which would be great but they aren't. Most of the time it's for egotistical reasons, not for the species well being.

Just my two cents.

And you get to decide what people get to own why?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
you really agree with people owning tigers and lions who aren't properly prepared?

if you are a serious animal nut, owning exotics can be a great hobby, given that you provide everything the animal needs. I don't think tigers, lions, or any big cats should be kept as pets, they're far too dangerous and seeing some of the kennels that I would feel bad keeping a dog in with a lion in it 24/7 is one of the saddest acts of animal cruelty I've witnessed. Ocelots and other wild cats of the same size yes, lions tigers no.

There should be a size restriction on the public owning exotics, this would stamp out a lot of the violence ( having to kill the animal, animal kills people ) that happens with unprepared owners. That show, Fatal Attractions on Animal planet I believe is a perfect example of this. Things like lions, tigers, bears, elephants should all be outlawed for any sort of personal keeping short of you are a scientist and need a live specimen to study.

I do not condemn all exotic owners, only the irresponsible and unprepared. and the people who just want to be that guy who has a lion. the populations of these animals are reaching record lows in the wild, what in gods name are they doing in american backyards? its just one of the most f'd up things this country allows to happen.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
Obviously I don't get to decide anything since big exotic animals are still being kept. I'm not saying all exotic pets should be off the table, because that would close the door on basically all pets, but the ones that cannot be housed like they would in the wild, example Tigers, Lions, Hyenas etc.

Honestly, what are you going to do with a Tiger or an Elephant? There is no reasonable explanation to have a totally wild animal caged up in your backyard, just because you think it's adorable and had the money to buy it. Do you think the average person has the land, money, and time to properly maintain these animals? The answer is no and that's why we are in the situation we are in in America because these animals can be bought as easily as a loaf of bread. The lucky ones are taken in by zoos or sanctuaries when they are no longer manageable but the rest are sold back into the pet trade/roadside zoos, neglected to death, killed or abandoned somewhere.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Obviously I don't get to decide anything since big exotic animals are still being kept. I'm not saying all exotic pets should be off the table, because that would close the door on basically all pets, but the ones that cannot be housed like they would in the wild, example Tigers, Lions, Hyenas etc.

Honestly, what are you going to do with a Tiger or an Elephant? There is no reasonable explanation to have a totally wild animal caged up in your backyard, just because you think it's adorable and had the money to buy it. Do you think the average person has the land, money, and time to properly maintain these animals? The answer is no and that's why we are in the situation we are in in America because these animals can be bought as easily as a loaf of bread. The lucky ones are taken in by zoos or sanctuaries when they are no longer manageable but the rest are sold back into the pet trade/roadside zoos, neglected to death, killed or abandoned somewhere.

+1

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store