The fastest way to train your gars to eat frozen foods

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Nice guide, This should be sticked! I think it'll work for almost all predatory fishes who are on live diet

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
I have gotten Florida's to start eating frozen like this as small as 5-6"

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Spiritofthesoul;4929031; said:
Nice guide, This should be sticked! I think it'll work for almost all predatory fishes who are on live diet
I don't know about stickied, as there isn't much to it, but I'm sure it could be merged into one of the captive gar guides under a feeding section if enough people find it helpful.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Madding;4929932; said:
I don't know about stickied, as there isn't much to it, but I'm sure it could be merged into one of the captive gar guides under a feeding section if enough people find it helpful.
am trying to get something in the works Michael...stick around to see:)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Except for the starving nice thread

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
I don't think not feeding your gar for a few days constitutes as starving

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4930728; said:
Except for the starving nice thread

There isn't really any other way to do it... some people have gars that will take non-live food immediately, some people don't. If you're the latter, eventually, if you want to stop throwing feeders in there, you have to get the gar really hungry.

Personally, I've never been able to take a gar eating live feeders, feed guppies the one night and tilapia/shrimp/krill the next and have the gar take the non-live food. It always takes some time, but maybe I've been unlucky.

For me it usually takes about a week, never longer than that. Doesn't bother me to do it. I'm sure in the wild a gar is lucky to get a couple fish a week.

I do agree with what you said in the other thread Mark... if your gar is small then wait for it to grow a bit before taking it off live food.

rostratusgar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2010
Slovakia
I also using this method. See video. I also use tweezers.

[YT]M-bUWR8zWjY[/YT]

[YT]0tEptPnfLW4[/YT]

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Madding;4931010; said:
There isn't really any other way to do it... some people have gars that will take non-live food immediately, some people don't. If you're the latter, eventually, if you want to stop throwing feeders in there, you have to get the gar really hungry.

Personally, I've never been able to take a gar eating live feeders, feed guppies the one night and tilapia/shrimp/krill the next and have the gar take the non-live food. It always takes some time, but maybe I've been unlucky.

For me it usually takes about a week, never longer than that. Doesn't bother me to do it. I'm sure in the wild a gar is lucky to get a couple fish a week.

I do agree with what you said in the other thread Mark... if your gar is small then wait for it to grow a bit before taking it off live food.
If its too small which alot are imho then urs asking for a stunted gar. A few days imho should be max that u dont feed and only if they are large enough. I never had to starve 4 of mine. My first I did before I knew how and he was very large. 15" plus and fat. It should only be very short time.

U luv knowing my name now dont you? Lol. I dont care. Use away!!

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4931517; said:
If its too small which alot are imho then urs asking for a stunted gar. A few days imho should be max that u dont feed and only if they are large enough. I never had to starve 4 of mine. My first I did before I knew how and he was very large. 15" plus and fat. It should only be very short time.

U luv knowing my name now dont you? Lol. I dont care. Use away!!

Yeah, I would personally not worry about converting until around 8-10" depending on the gar.

And yes, I love knowing your name! Bwahaha. I like calling my friends by their name. *big dumb cheesy smile*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store