The fastest way to train your gars to eat frozen foods

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
lol.. you guys are dorks ( btw thats a compliment). and I completely agree. gar under imo 12" shoudln't be starved intentionally period. only in extereme cases should this be done ( for medical reasons) Or you are tempting stunting, and what I've seen in other species ( I know gar are different then most fish..) which will refuse to eat even if their usual food is offered, and simply wither away and die. imo getting them offa live food just isn't a good enough reason to do so much potential harm. particulalry when their natural food is made up largely of live fish.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Madding;4931530; said:
Yeah, I would personally not worry about converting until around 8-10" depending on the gar.

And yes, I love knowing your name! Bwahaha. I like calling my friends by their name. *big dumb cheesy smile*
:D:ROFL:

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
After reading through the captive car guides, which I should have done along time ago, and yes i know better, don't know why i didn't. I think that the reason I've been having trouble is my floridas tankmates. 2 bluegill, 2 pumpkinseed, and a fairly good size pleco. I plan on rectifying this today, as i've got a spare 55 with nothing in it. was planning on moving him to that anyway, but I'll do it sooner, rather than later. My "alligator" (starting to look more like a florida every day) is about 6" long. Is it too soon to get him off of live? Suitable live food for him is very difficult to come by here, particuraly in the winter. He would get more consistent feedings if i could feed him chunks of shrimp and tilapia.

bnoble

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
VA
rostratusgar;4931062; said:
I also using this method. See video. I also use tweezers.

[YT]M-bUWR8zWjY[/YT]

[YT]0tEptPnfLW4[/YT]

awesome, very helpfull

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
MODS could this be added into one of the stickies?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store