The "it's only temporary" statement

codyish125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
oc
The worst is when people actually do have larger tanks they can use but for one reason or another never end up moving the stock over.
Im in that crowd unfortunately..i have a 240 with like 7 fish all under 2 inches .I need some new fish asap :banghead:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There are fish I see for sale on here all the time that I wonder how people are going to house them. Pima, Wels cat......the list never ends. Some of the paid vendors here are the worst offenders at offering these monsters.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Less than 50% I'd think.

I do it all the time though. But I never buy a fish that I can't move up to one of my bigger tanks I already own.

It takes a lot of restraint at times lol. But it's a lot easier on the fish, me, my marriage...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Lucky you..my wife is against 500g tank - no space in place..im selling bed for making it :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If people would just buy big the first time. Get a 200 or 300 Gallon tank the first time. I bought a 125 gallon, and I kick myself everyday. The LFS tried to sell me the 240, and I was scared. Never again. I'm trying to decide right now between a custom acrylic, or a tank from glasscages.com right now. 8 foot x 36 x 30 acrylic is looking like $3500. Glasscages has a glass one 24 inches tall for around $1800--375 Gallon. I can't decide.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
I have been and still am a "its just temporary" person. the 10g was a temp tank for the Oscar, that became the 30g just temp for the Oscar, next was the 95g just temp for the Oscar, next was the 180g. that's not a temp, but, I have 2 juvi JD pair in the 30g, that's temp. I have 2 Jags now, each in there own 95g, that's temp as i want to move them into another 180, move the JD pair into one of the 95g, and use the other 95g for the pleco and cat currently with the Oscar or put my spawning pair of JD in it.

but agreed most who say its just temp end up not following though for what ever reason.
You are certainly an exception. Most people by the fish, and for one reason or another can't afford, or for whatever reason, don't obtain the "monster tank" they should be housed in. I'm also an exception. I have a 75 with 4 african cichlids in it and a 135 empty, still cleaning it and waiting for the right stock to put in it.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
I was temporary as well... a 0.5l tank for a common goldfish I won at the fair (never kept fish in my life), then a 9l tank with new fancy goldfish and the minnows, then 70l tank with goldfish, minnows, weather loaches, corys and blackbanded sunfish which hit upgraded to a 100l tank, then getting my channa for the 70l tank, who has now been moved to his lifelong 160l tank... so I'm a "it's temporary person" who has been in the hobby nearly two years, and I'm improving... killed the second goldfish though :( but yea, the number of people that buy monsters and don't have the plans to upgrade is sad :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
The only fish I ever bought that I couldn't properly house @ adult size with my current tanks was an adonis with the theoretical max size of 3'+. Other than that I stayed away from fish like rays, rtc's and arrow's. Of coarse going from a 75g straight to a 220 makes fish keeping a lot easier I guess.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Usually when I see this statement, it's usually the OP asking a different question, but since the OP sees what other posters here usually start off by saying, you are going to need a bigger tank, and so on, they come up with this statement. The OP's original question usually goes unanswered. Another thing I have noticed, all/most the top posters here that have big tank filled with fish, you rarely EVER see anyone say a word about them being over stocked but if a new guy comes along, everyone seems to bash them. :screwy:

No one starts off as a perfect fish keeper, no matter how good you are at telling everyone online that you are a perfect fish keeper. You have to start somewhere. You will always learn something in this hobby. Everyone and I mean everyone makes mistakes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store