The "it's only temporary" statement

Elbling0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2013
Silent Hill
Yeah, i remember when i was in Australia i flipped when i saw the prices of a lot of fish over there... definitely wouldn't want to be an exotic keeper as you say over in the land down under...
Lol exactly, it is good in a way though as people wont want to go and release an non-native fish that are 1k into our rivers haha, some exotics would just ruin our rivers ecosystems.
But yeah, you can shove 1.5k for an endii up your bum. :nilly:

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
id say less! how many members have a tank over 220 gallon really? in comparison to the amount that have kept a red tail cat! i bet less than 5% have a tank over 220 and prob 20 percent have kept a rtc . silver aro, ir shark, or other potential monster! at some point! i think even once you upgrade its easy to buy fish again that are too big... in the real world my 300 aint much bigger than a 180 lets be honest!! ive come to conclude unless you have something in the range converted swimming pool you dont have a monster tank, my 300 seems small now!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I like theses percentages and probabilies based on absolutely nothing more than a belief in the tooth fairy. There is a 50% chance that I will be young and good looking probably. (I'm 55)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like theses percentages and probabilies based on absolutely nothing more than a belief in the tooth fairy. There is a 50% chance that I will be young and good looking probably. (I'm 55)
Lol,and what's the percentage all of these fish tank police having big enough tanks for what they are currently keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
It's simple math.

Unless Santa delivered a couple hundred 10K gallon tanks yesterday, I stick by my tooth fairy numbers.

Lol,and what's the percentage all of these fish tank police having big enough tanks for what they are currently keeping.

lol, I hear you...I see a bit of hypocrisy here, but some people actually practice what they preach.

Everyone has common sense until it comes time to make their own decisions.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
It's simple math.

Unless Santa delivered a couple hundred 10K gallon tanks yesterday, I stick by my tooth fairy numbers.

lol, I hear you...I see a bit of hypocrisy here, but some people actually practice what they preach.

Everyone has common sense until it comes time to make their own decisions.
Yup. It takes everything I have to walk past the Dovii and umbies at my lfs. Especially when someone there says " you can house one. You have an 8' tank!"

Which would be great if it were empty lol

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Definitely agree that you learn as you go. But, when the information is readily available to you but you choose to disregard, at the expense of the well-being of your animals, you have no excuse.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
the "its only temp" thing applies to many of us, even those w/ the bigger tanks

Im one of the "young people" who have some fish in a tank too small for their adult sizes, most young people cant start off with a 180 and a 55 for qt/growout.. thats a huge investment. Every single person i know who keeps the larger fish (including the old LFS manager whos more of a monster fish keeper then most of us on this site) started by getting a baby to grow out temporarily in a smaller tank first. Then you have a good sized tank running for QT/grow outs after you get a bigger tank up. Especially young people dont have that kind of capital to invest into a hobby

In my case it is financial, but ive stayed responsible in only buying baby fish that are perfectly happy in my 70. Give it another 4 or 5 months and if i keep them this way my tank will be a hell hole. I know that, but im into it enough that Ive never really thought of not getting a bigger tank, ive already begun gathering material for the build in the spring.

Thats where the split comes in IME and IMO, if your passionate enough about your pets and hobby you go through the motions for a larger tank. If you think to yourself "eh, id rather get out of it then keep spending money" thats a LOT better then keeping the fish in the too small tank for a long period. And then theres the segment that simply changes their stock to fish that will fit for life and stay passionate WITHIN THEIR LIMITS. Thats the key to keeping this hobby alive, is to getting people to keep everything in their financial capability.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
ill be honest i buy fish that will outgrow my tiny 55 such as festaes and my new flowerhorn but when i buy these fish i intend to grow them out to a certain size where i can earn more money than what i paid for them. before i actually buy them i talk to my friend at the lfs and see what hes willing to pay money for. for example i just brought in my 2" festae that i got for free and got a $20 flowerhorn. i asked the guy how much hed be willing to give me when it gets to 10" he said $75-$100 then ill do it all over again. i enjoy watching the fish grow up thats my enjoyment in the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store