MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Alright,no point in me posting here without photos so here goes...ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402000464.911221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hi all this is a thread me and koltsixx have had a toy with on my irwini thread, we are planning getting some if not all the active members keeping irwini ( and other megalodoras) to club together and have a race on the growth of their catfish... koltsixx is a moderator and has agreed to amend this post listing members and their catfish sizes. should be good fun.

kind of hoping there are a few other keepers out there who want to join in!-) please chime in if you are keeping one.
Nice work J this thread really took off. I might have to change around the first post so there's less pics to make room for the names of those competing and the sizes of their Irwini/Uranoscopas, I think it'll look more streamlined like that. Maybe choose your favorite pic of your new addition and we can put your name as the first entry along with your Megas size; let me know what you think.

I'd have to see mine to know how much he's growing. Hides 24/7.
I'll get him out to measure sometime soon, he's around 7-8"
Sweet so are you throwing your guys hat into the ring? He looks like a contender can even see that belly from above.

^Same here,my pair really live up to their nocturnal nature lol.I think my bigger one is already over a foot in length but we shall see.
How bout you Krich you in with your pair?

I've had mine for 9 years, 18" from tip to tip.
That Mega's a beast! And how big is that Raph?

My 7 irwinies. Started at ~3" each. This is 6 months ago (Nov 4 2013) in a 120 gal, 4"-6" they are. 4 months ago went into a ~2000 gal pond at ~8"-10" TL except one poor eater that remained at 4". Lost two. No pics, no measurement until I get them out and into the exhibits, which are not ready yet.
Awesome group TBTB and if I understand correctly they managed to go from 4-6" to 8-10" in only 2 months before hitting the pond, that's some impressive growth.

I'll have to measure but I've got some that should be right up there with Stan's. I bought the pair (supposedly M/F) from the O'Malley collection many years ago.

Also have a group of 4 smaller ones but growth rates are all over the place. Depending on what the tank is fed and what's in there for competition.

I think Stan's pic has a Rapheal in it, not a small Irwinni. Speaking of them, is there a thread for who has the largest Rapheal cat? I've got a monstrosity here I'd like to enter, if nothing else just to see if it's a genetic freak or if they are all capable of getting that size.
So pick your fattest fatty and throw down. :D I'd also love to see a thread dedicated to yours and flamenco-t's Raphs I imagine it would surprise quite a few of us seeing how big these guys can really get.

they are such a slooooow grower...
Sweet lookin Mega Li and that Albino glanis is just :drool:

Alright,no point in me posting here without photos so here goes...

Awesome lookin' pair Krich.

By the way here's my entry at 6.5" confirmed
IMG_7887#2.JPG

IMG_7887#2.JPG

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
nice fish kolt, he is a stunner! feel free to delete them i will get a decent pic this weekend mate and a confirmed size too...

i actually used the search button to find a few people with irwini then pm'd them, bit sneaky but worked well with your name dropped hahaha!-) alot turned up of their own accord too tho...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks Kolt,got a few more shots.ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402001057.424104.jpg..I moved their tiles that they love to hide behind so the bigger one moved around a bit...ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402001206.994269.jpg..ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402001300.225801.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Awesome group TBTB and if I understand correctly they managed to go from 4-6" to 8-10" in only 2 months before hitting the pond, that's some impressive growth.
A growth spurt they had. They were devouring pellets like there was no tomorrow. Eyeballing them in my pond, they are hardly a foot. I have to have patience. It's a virtue.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
I've had my Raphael for 10 years lol, he's probably around 7-8". Never really measured him at all.... He's only been moved 3-4 times in 10 years lol

The irwini was about 4-5" when I got him originally. His growth took off once I moved him to the 600 from 240 about 4 years ago

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store