The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
aclockworkorange;4902061; said:
Did they arrive today Jer?
They sure the heck did. Now I just have to find room for them. They're huge. I knew they were going to be big but now that it comes time to actually find somewhere to put them they're monsters.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Dan Feller;4903513; said:
I've seen that website, it looks like they have some good deals, but...

Read the guy's bio, he seems like he is an "interesting character". :nilly:
I just read through the bio and... :WHOA:

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I use them as a biological filtration only. Its like a extra lil filter in there if you need to start a hospital tank or whatever. I rock 2 in addition to a fx5 and fluval 405

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
When putting a powerhead on top of these sponges, does it make a difference if the power head is a low pressure/hi pressure? How much GPH can you really send through these things pending on the sponge size?

I ordered one from hongkong haha, I took over 2 months to get here. But right now it sits int he snappers tank. Its pretty darn big. Looks like he already tried biting it:screwy:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
and the gph of the powerhead.. i don't know about high or low pressure. never seen that on a powerhead.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Morledzep;4908893; said:
and the gph of the powerhead.. i don't know about high or low pressure. never seen that on a powerhead.
Same here. :confused: Maybe he means an adjustment knob for flow or something? I have an AC powerhead that has that.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
I googled it to try and explain it better.

"Powerheads are rated by flowrate which is really a poor rating system for powerheads as it doesn't really tell you the whole picture. There is a difference in kinds of flow. The big issue comes when you deal with pressure and volume. Some powerheads are high pressure but low volume, while others are high volume and low pressure. So, what does this mean? Well, the high volume powerheads still move lots of water, but they do so in a much gentler manner. Powerheads that fall into this category would be the Koralia line from Hydor, and the Tunze Stream/Nano Stream lines. These powerheads use a propeller for moving the water in a broad column. These powerheads also have the nice feature of being safe for your fish as they do not have a single small intake that is also high pressure. The mounts on these powerheads are another great advantage; both brands use a combination of a single large suction cup and a magnet.

Powerheads such as Maxi Jet, Penguin, and Aquaclear are all low volume but high pressure. These powerheads use a small intake with a single narrow output. This creates a harsher current for your fish, corals, or plants. These powerheads are well suited to use with a under gravel filter or for a CO2 reactor. While these powerheads can be used in reef tanks or regular tanks, they are as well suited for that application as a the Koralia or Tunze powerheads. The Maxi Jet powerheads can be converted to a low pressure/high volume setup with the use of a Sureflo Mod kit. The biggest draw back to most of these powerheads is their mounts. Most of them are mounted with the use of suction cups, and these frequently let go and are the cause of many a sand storm in reef tanks.

So, it boils down to this: what is your application? If water movement is the goal, then go with a Koralia, or a Tunze, but if the goal is filtration or CO2 injection, then one of the others would be well suited to your needs."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store