The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
nope.. i've seen them used in LFS but i've never used them myself. look interesting though. might be tougher to disguise in the tank though?

kylec

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
I was wondering if it would work as well with the air line connecting into the bottome of the filter, instead of going down the top tube?

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
kylec;5073582; said:
I was wondering if it would work as well with the air line connecting into the bottome of the filter, instead of going down the top tube?

well, i guess you can. but i don't know how you're going to attach an airline to the base. the base is weighted, usually with some kind of metal encased in plastic, drilling it is NOT a good idea.

AOmonsta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
SC

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
kylec;5073582; said:
As long as some sort of suction is being created with the flow, it will work.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I wasd thinking of modifying one of my hang on back filters to use the dual sponge since it can suction cup to the glass. I think the Aqueon I have will work, not sure though.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
Lusus_Naturae;5088365; said:
I wasd thinking of modifying one of my hang on back filters to use the dual sponge since it can suction cup to the glass. I think the Aqueon I have will work, not sure though.

a lot of folks use a foam prefilter on their HOB and canister filter intakes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store