The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
You could do what I do and put sponges on the intake of your canister filters, not only does most of the poo, extra food etc get caught up in the sponge but the canisters last for literally months at a time before I need to change anything out.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Keep in mind that adding any sponges to your existing filter intake of exhaust will also decrease the efficiency of your filter. If you bought a larger filter than you really need and get more than enough flow this probably isn't an issue. If you have a unit that barely moves enough water to meet your requirements adding a sponge could drop it to inadequate movement, especially after some time when it gets debris/bacteria in it which will further decrease the flow rate. Probably not an issue for most but something to consider.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
lol, when this thread popped back up to the top in my subscribed threads it reminded me that i need to buy more sponges... thank you.. lol.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Jer;5091916; said:
Keep in mind that adding any sponges to your existing filter intake of exhaust will also decrease the efficiency of your filter. If you bought a larger filter than you really need and get more than enough flow this probably isn't an issue. If you have a unit that barely moves enough water to meet your requirements adding a sponge could drop it to inadequate movement, especially after some time when it gets debris/bacteria in it which will further decrease the flow rate. Probably not an issue for most but something to consider.
It's all good, I have a 75 and I'm running filters for 70g, 70g, and 100g, and flow hasn't been an issue. Thanks for the tip though I'll be sure to keep that in mind should the problem ever arise. :)

cruceo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
GA
this might be a stupid question but are sponge filters as effective in salt water as they are in fresh or is this mostly a freshwater solution?

Ogre One

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2011
in your computer
WHen stacking Sponge filters do i put the air line all the way to the bottom sponge's bulls eye or do i add it to the top one with the lift tube to it.

kdcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2011
California
Thanks for such an informative piece. I am using a diy sponge filter in my 55g dempsey tank. filteration appears to be working well and the parents and fry seem to like it. Very nice work. Keep it coming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store