The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

Redsy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2011
Central Singapore
so how long does you guys clean the sponge filters? i've got one and it is real dirty, after when i put it into the tank for 2 weeks and i take it out and gave it a squeeze, the water coming out from it is thick brownish.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
so how long does you guys clean the sponge filters? i've got one and it is real dirty, after when i put it into the tank for 2 weeks and i take it out and gave it a squeeze, the water coming out from it is thick brownish.
Like how long between cleanings or how long does it actually take to clean them? Tanks that are run by just sponge filters need to be cleaned more often. Tanks that have heavy stock and feeding might need to be cleaned more often as well.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
how long do i need to squeeze it? after 5-10mins or so the water is still slight brownish coming out from it.
Oh, well you don't want to clean it too much or it will kill all the beneficial bacteria in the sponge. I just squeeze it out a few times. You don't want it like super clean, I don't clean them until it's obviously the outer material is clogged.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
Oh, well you don't want to clean it too much or it will kill all the beneficial bacteria in the sponge. I just squeeze it out a few times. You don't want it like super clean, I don't clean them until it's obviously the outer material is clogged.
+1

CaRONG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Just an update from me, I'm going to convert my 125 to a mattenfilter design. I'm going to wedge these sponges behind the 3D background where it will pull water through wall of sponges like this:

Can you post a pic of how this works when your done? It seems pretty cool but where does it suck the poop from if it's behind the 3D Background?
BTW I have a sponge filter running in my 6' tank I'm gonna get more, this thread inspired me!

CaRONG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Another question, if you use a powerhead does it just circulate the water and not give any bubbles? Or is there a method of having bubbles with a powerhead connected?

Redsy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2011
Central Singapore
CaRONG, there is a air tube together with a black float like thing given to you when you purchase a powerhead, simply attach it to the powerhead with the black float out of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store