The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
I once used a giant sponge as the sole filter for a 180g, ran for 2 years with no problem whatsoever. System was real simple,

180g>overflow>sump (walmart plastic tub) with giant sponge>180g.

The sponge was huge, about 18"x12"x8" used a 900gph pump. Water quality was good, I did seasonal maintenance, ie the the sponge out and wash it in tank water.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I once used a giant sponge as the sole filter for a 180g, ran for 2 years with no problem whatsoever. System was real simple,

180g>overflow>sump (walmart plastic tub) with giant sponge>180g.

The sponge was huge, about 18"x12"x8" used a 900gph pump. Water quality was good, I did seasonal maintenance, ie the the sponge out and wash it in tank water.
maybe the biggest sponge filter out there?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Not sure about that, but sure was effective. In fact, the cuttings from the original sponge help started quite a few tanks. we were talking about INSTANT ready and cycled.
how was the sponge set up in the sump?did you have air running it ,or did you just feed water through it

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
The sponge was attached to the pump, the pump inlet was embedded inside the sponge. The whole sponge was submerged in the sump, well most of the time. Due to evaporation and undersized sump, the top inch or so of the sponge were not submerged from time to time.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
The sponge was attached to the pump, the pump inlet was embedded inside the sponge. The whole sponge was submerged in the sump, well most of the time. Due to evaporation and undersized sump, the top inch or so of the sponge were not submerged from time to time.
I may try that sometime ..thanks. also what was the brand name of the sponge and where can I find one

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
I got them from Jo-anne or in those days known as New York Fabric. Green stuff for cushion etc. real cheap. And I used to soak a new one in the same tub for couple days and change it, so instant new filter lol.

ToolMan78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
Costa Rica
Be careful about what foam you get for a DIY filter. Some open cell foam (the kind that passes water) is treated with fungicides to prevent mildew in outdoor applications, "EZ-Dri" does for sure. What might work well is acoustic foam. They sell it in big sheets. It's the dark gray stuff they line recording studios with to get rid of sound reflections. It has a 3D surface texture , kinda like egg crate, which would help create more surface area for your filter.
I would say find a foam dealer in your area and ask for open cell or reticulated foam. It shouldn't contain fungicides or fire retardants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store