The worst nightmare i ever imagined..happened

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Liz,
I know you are going through a lot right now but if you need some advice about the Pacu, I would quickly wipe down your bathtub and fill it two thirds with dechlorinated water. Pacu are amazingly tough and will easily handle this environment without a filter or airstone for a few days until you are ready.

Pacu are part of a group of water-breathing species that employ aiú, or aquatic surface respiration, as a strategy against hypoxia. Under low oxygen conditions they come to the surface, to skim the relatively O2-rich surface film by forming a funnel with mucus that directs the surface water into the mouth and over the gills. The mouth contains a flap-like valve to maintain a steady, laminar flow of surface water over the gills while the mouth is held agape. I have seen this first hand and it develops quickly. They do need to be in a deepish tank though. Just cover the bathtub and keep the room dark.

Just some information to give you some comfort. Hope it all works out.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Liz, I am so sorry for the loss. :( If theres anything any of us can do, just ask. We are here.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
< HUG >

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Sorry to hear it. Alot of people have had issues as of late, but yours is quite a tragedy..

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Damn liz, sorry this has happened to you. Hope things are on the up for you...keep posted, good luck, thinking about you.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i am so thankful so far everyone else seems okay but the other pacu appears to be dying.. i quess right now i have to think about the ones i still have and grieve for my dear pacu later..thank you for your kindness... i will get through this eventually but until i do it helps so much to have your best wishes.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
You are in my thoughts. I will be praying for your second Pacu as well as the rest of your fish. So sorry this had to happen to someone like you.:(

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
The one that hurts the most is seeing my husband go through this..so dedicated and he saved them and i am so thankful for that.. the mess as u can see in the pics does not rattle me like seeing my gentle giants for the last time..thats what hurts.. these are the hardest pictures i will ever take and post.. and yet it could have been worse ..it broke from the bottom,it could have instead blew out and destroyed other tanks:(

fish pics 067.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store