Thinking of a sump

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Drilling tanks easy. I have done it with a tank full of fish without being nervous. Honestly one of the easiest things I have done building tanks.
Building a diy pvc overflow will take more time then drilling the holes but if you want to go that route check out Joey the king of diy on youtube he just did an update on how to build pvc overflow with modifications that will get more flow and look very nice in your tank I can send you a link if you need it

Reactions: davenmandy

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Drill, baby....Drill. easier than you think. I was really scared the first time. My last one was 3/4" 19mm glass. Take your time and keep flushing with water.

Reactions: davenmandy

SingAlongWithTsing

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Inland Empire
If you want to go the DIY overflow route you can build something like this

it has mid-level skimming too, he runs 2 of em on his 180 gal tank, just run the air-line tubing into a tom aqua lifter as a saftey net

edit: as for pumps, i would go with a Jecod/Jebao DCT, they're adjustable + low power consumption. Make sure you get the ones with DCT in the name, DCT is the 2015 model.

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
Thanks for all the help, looks like I'll have to drill the tank if I want to go ahead with the wet/dry sump. I would struggle to get one 1.5" overflow to fit the tank, I have no chance with 2.... time for a bit research and hours of YouTube videos!.... ha

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
Dose anyone think that this overflow box will be good enough for my 200g tank? It would take a couple of modifications to the hood but it might fit!...

Also, if I have 2 1.5" drains dose that mean I would need to have 2 1.5 " returns or would 1 be enough?

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
If you are considering the dual output skim box, then yes, I think you would be fine.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Have you thought about the lifereef overflow boxes? They are expensive but seem to be the best on the market. Not to mention they seem to be able to customize fairly easily. I have a 180g that is not drilled and playing with the idea of a sump. I would go with the dual overflow product they have.

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
The only problem with this overflow box is the outlets are listed at 1.5" or 38mm, however the local diy shops sell 1.5" pipe and joints listed as 40mm... Does anyone know what size the outlet is on the Jebao dct models?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store