Thinking of getting a corn snake :)

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Nice.
Might have another free 55 gallon coming my way, thinking about getting a double stand and doing a corn snake and kingsnake...
Little guy looks good!

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Great choice for a first snake! Definitely 1 of the best beginner ones. As mentioned earlier, you don't need any UVA or UVB, have plenty of hiding places and lots if branches for it to climb. Heat mats are also the best source of heating for snakes because heat lamps just dry out the environment making it difficult to control humidity. An 80g is just waaay too big for a baby corn snake. They become extremely stressed out in too big of an environment unless you have plenty of hiding places but then it'll be difficult for you to find it.

I had a 29g that I kept a green tree python in with an aquarium top as well. I just put a brick on the lid and duct taped the holes so that it couldn't escape. Good luck and post picks when you get it!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
An 80g is just waaay too big for a baby corn snake. They become extremely stressed out in too big of an environment unless you have plenty of hiding places but then it'll be difficult for you to find it.

I'm thinking along the same lines as the OP, but I have a 55 gallon (or two). Would that be too large for a baby? If I put in a center divider could I comfortably house two different corn snakes for life, or would that be too small when they reached full size?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'm thinking along the same lines as the OP, but I have a 55 gallon (or two). Would that be too large for a baby? If I put in a center divider could I comfortably house two different corn snakes for life, or would that be too small when they reached full size?

A 55 would still be too big for even 2 baby corns. Too big of an enclosure will stress out a snake unless you put lots of hiding places and I mean a lot. This will make it extremely difficult for you to find them. Becuz corns are so tiny when young, 10g are pretty much the biggest I would go until they're about 6 months to a year. A 55 would be perfect for 2 adults though and there is no need to divide them.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
A 55 would still be too big for even 2 baby corns. Too big of an enclosure will stress out a snake unless you put lots of hiding places and I mean a lot. This will make it extremely difficult for you to find them. Becuz corns are so tiny when young, 10g are pretty much the biggest I would go until they're about 6 months to a year. A 55 would be perfect for 2 adults though and there is no need to divide them.

Well I might have to rethink this plan as I've actually got a better location for the two 55 gallon tanks than I would for a smaller setup... Just thought maybe I could silicone a black center divider in the middle of the tank...
I've been seeing to keep corn snakes separate unless they're a breeding pair?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Well I might have to rethink this plan as I've actually got a better location for the two 55 gallon tanks than I would for a smaller setup... Just thought maybe I could silicone a black center divider in the middle of the tank...
I've been seeing to keep corn snakes separate unless they're a breeding pair?

I'm not saying to not do it, just with baby snakes the smaller the enclosure, the better. If the 55's fit better, do the idea with the divider. Just make sure the divider isn't clear. Scientists still are that sure of how they see light so if it's clear, they may think that there's a lot more space than there really is and just the illusion of that could stress them out. It'll probably be easier to find them as well if it's divided. Just make sure to have plenty of hides. I think the main reason they say to keep them separate is when they're feeding. If 1 finishes before the other, it might try to take the mouse away from the other 1. Other than that, they're perfectly fine being kept together.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I got them today! Couldn't decide on 1 so I got 2 lol the guy who breeds them said they should be fine as they are both female...

I set up an old 10g for them for now, I have a pic of the other 1 I got too but no in tank shots yet as they are nervous so gonna let them settle a bit before messing with them.

Here is the pic of the other 1 :) ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398622947.257956.jpg

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Thought I would do an update on my snakes, so far everything is going really well and they are awesome pets, the red checkered type 1 is really fast and a bit skittish but the light grey and black/brown 1 is so chilled! She will happily sit in my hands all day :)

I handle them a lot and they are getting very tame and growing fast, never refused food or regurgitated so all good so far!

Here's some pics from today

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400352580.508313.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400352596.957844.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400352615.424842.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400352633.308332.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400352651.629472.jpg

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Snakes are doing really well, both confirmed female, here is the smaller 1 "playing" in a cat you, she's very curious of the rattle in the red ball lol they are great pets

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402168852.546736.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402168874.801374.jpg

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I wouldn't keep the together... They can eat eachother.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store