Thinking of switching to the dark side ;)

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
That's what I said slow ... Then I got salt fever and rushed things and wasted money and killed things... If I do it again I'm doing a fowlr tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Oh dam..hopefully i can control myself. Lol and im doing fowlr

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Once your tank is established, wow is it easy. My buddie has a 3 year old 150 gallon... His "filtering" an aquaclear 110 for one week outa the month. Lets the live rock do the rest.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Once your tank is established, wow is it easy. My buddie has a 3 year old 150 gallon... His "filtering" an aquaclear 110 for one week outa the month. Lets the live rock do the rest.
That sounds dumb. Why waste his time turning it on for one week a month. Doesnt really seem like it has a purpose. LR is your filter, you dont need anything else.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
That sounds dumb. Why waste his time turning it on for one week a month. Doesnt really seem like it has a purpose. LR is your filter, you dont need anything else.

So a sump isnt required for a FOWLR? Would i be able to get away with plenty of live rock and a quality skimmer?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
So a sump isnt required for a FOWLR? Would i be able to get away with plenty of live rock and a quality skimmer?

Yes, but there are advantages to using a sump

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
One missed day of evaporation in your tank could end in high salinity and destroy $100 worth of coral frags. Be careful my friend!

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
One missed day of evaporation in your tank could end in high salinity and destroy $100 worth of coral frags. Be careful my friend!
Not doing corals for a long long time!! Sticking to fish only live rock. Ill check out some sumps and see whats up. Any advice on stocklist?

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
Oh okay. i plan on researching a lot. Ill have to check out a couple specialty saltwater lfs's. So as far as stocking...was thinking 45 lbs live and 30 or so lbs dead rock. 2-3 inches of sand. what would be a good beginner stock? I want some ideas now so i can plan it better. Again thank you all

what size is the tank....rule of thumb. 1 pound of rock per gallon of water...and honestly if you're doing it the right way...buy 80-90% of your live rock from marcorocks.com and then buy the other 10% of your LR from your LFS out of a display tank that looks like its running well... or from a friend that is willing to give you a piece..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store