Thinking of switching to the dark side ;)

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
what size is the tank....rule of thumb. 1 pound of rock per gallon of water...and honestly if you're doing it the right way...buy 80-90% of your live rock from marcorocks.com and then buy the other 10% of your LR from your LFS out of a display tank that looks like its running well... or from a friend that is willing to give you a piece..
sorry tank will be a 75 gallon. I have a really nice local fish store that specializes in saltwater. The live rock there has the nice purple coraline? algae. Some of the healthiest live rock(from what ive read and seen)

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
thats always a positive, a specialty store....
i didn't know if your 75 was going to be what you were referring to or not...so yeah you will need 75 pounds of rock... and 75 pounds of aragonite sand...i would still buy the majority of the rock dry and from a trusted vendor...or even order it from your lfs if you feel comfortable with them... that way it's fresh, and you can start from ground zero without having to worry about whether or not it's cured/uncured...and you have any bad hitchhikers....

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Either or large amounts of coralline on rock isn't really a good thing as it usually dies off do to lack of stability and inappropriate amounts of dissolved trace - calcium - magnesium - sodium and other Alk stuff (aka lack of super saturation) or even changes in light intensity and duration associated with new tanks. When coralline dies off it creates ammonia. Another reason why it's good to scrub and cure all LR.

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
I also just started a 75 fowler (fir now) i am using a CPR HOB refugium, and will be getting a skimmer off of ebay after taxreturn is here. i am currently using a emperor 400 for my mechanical filtration, cleaning the pads daily and the entire unit weekly. I am on a tight budget and used the white sand they sell at menards for a base, it cost only 5$ a bag and is working out quite well.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
just because live rock has coraline algea doesnt mean its good "live rock". Some people thing that the coraline algea clogs thew poors up of the rock from doing what it is there to do !

If your going full reef definitly buy most of it as "dead" rock or "base" rock. Wont get any harmfull hitch hikers in the rock.

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Either or large amounts of coralline on rock isn't really a good thing as it usually dies off do to lack of stability and inappropriate amounts of dissolved trace - calcium - magnesium - sodium and other Alk stuff (aka lack of super saturation) or even changes in light intensity and duration associated with new tanks. When coralline dies off it creates ammonia. Another reason why it's good to scrub and cure all LR.
Oh okay im kinda new so i wasnt sure lol what would you recomend

just because live rock has coraline algea doesnt mean its good "live rock". Some people thing that the coraline algea clogs thew poors up of the rock from doing what it is there to do !

If your going full reef definitly buy most of it as "dead" rock or "base" rock. Wont get any harmfull hitch hikers in the rock.
most likely going to do a fowlr. what are some things to look for on good lr

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Obviously rocks void of stuff like black jelly lookin' spots, green algae, red slime, diatoms, detritus - but all this is mute if you scrub and cure the LR. Curing is a process much like the initial cycling of a tank. if you have any desire in the future to add corals then look for rock with long flat surfaces.

LR generally means the rock was collected in the ocean from dead or dying reefs at which point other aquatic life has moved in.
Sometimes in a good way for the aquarist but more often than not in a bad way. I've heard of all kinds of stuff hatching off LR -
clams, octopus mantis shrimp, nudibranchs, star fish, worms, etc... Not all ppl want this stuff and this stuff can kill off stuff we paid big bucks for.

General under the intensity of light we are limited to purple coralline thrives. The sun and oceans have no such limitation. Multiple colors are a byproduct of mineral content and light and temp. There's really no guarantee it will survive but with that said I have pink, yellow, red, purple, green and white. Why's this relevant- don't just limit yourself to one region of rock - Caribbean rock can give off red - Atlantic shelf is pink and white, Solomon's yellows and greens etc....If the coralline survives the rocks can be quite colorful in the years to come and it does take years. Buy all dry rock to skip the curing process and this will not happen. However in the current eco - climate it is more responsible and earth friendly to buy macro, dry. or man made rock - this your choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store