this gar caught my atention

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
What color was the container the Gar was in when you bought it. WTT means white tank treatment and it means a gar will lighten up to match it's surroundings or conversely will darken if kept in the black. Most melanistic appearing gars(all black ones) will be blind. Since they have no sight they darken up because they believe they are improving their camoflauge. The same is true with Platinum Gars- a regular gar will turn all white if kept in a white tank. I recently purchased a platinum gar from sittipat- which turned out to be a scam.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
few points brought up OP for you.. I understand in mexico trops are bred for the food trade ( point 1 for it likely being a trop) Like Energy learned and there is a thread around here about it.. WTT as long as the gar is in such a "light" set-up it will stay washed out, ime Gar look best in darker "natural" set-ups to really bring out their color.

As for the tub.. footprint is essential in keeping these fish and ime they do best in a round pool/pond if you haven't purchased/built a home for it. Expect its size to reach 3' or so once fully grown ( abit on the high side but best to prepare for "big" then have to re-work everything. lesson I learned >.< ) Gar appreciate/thrive on good filtration just because they can breath air doesn't mean they shouldn't have adequate filtration, ime they like a solid flow w/ a few dead spots ( much as you would find in a bend in a river ect. ) imo has to do a lot w/ their ambush predetor style.

Read the stickies on general gar husbandry at the top of the page if you haven't already! great info in there! and ask away if you have any questions/concerns for feeding/tank/filtration ect!

wonderful fish to own!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
There is no question that it is a nice juvenile Tropical gar. If it is some color morph or not I'm not so sure. These fish do have a wide level of variation and sometimes are really light other times really dark. Fish will be fine in the housing you have for it for a bit. Pretty much that is how I have raised hundreds of gar. Anyhow nice fish and good luck with it. Trops really are about the best gar species one can get a hold of.

Wels_Catfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
United States
Hmm It may be a florida, because if you look at the tip of the nose you will see like a little sphere at the end, a nob if you will. Yet It may be a platinum gator, I'm not 100% but take those things into account

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Hmm It may be a florida, because if you look at the tip of the nose you will see like a little sphere at the end, a nob if you will. Yet It may be a platinum gator, I'm not 100% but take those things into account
To Original poster here...Just don't take into account... it is a Tropical.. Go back to previous response by me..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store