This is my new piranha I got today. Does anyone know what it is?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I bought this piranha from the local fish shop today. He couldn't give me a scientific name. He just said it was a "True Black Rhom". He said he picked it up from his wholesaler a couple months ago that had gotten it in a large shipment from Brazil. Does anyone know the species? If you could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Serrasalmus Rhombeus is the species. Nice pickup by the way.
I know there are different variations of rhoms. Is this anything different or just the Serrasalmas rhombeus? Or are all of them the same species from different locations? Like when you look on aquascape online it had a bunch of different rhoms. Not sure how it works.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
He's 6". What do guys think a fair price would have been?

Holdenon5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
There all rhoms but different collection points. Such as a rhom collected in Brazil will be more expensive then a rhom collected in Peru of the same size.

Reactions: tlindsey

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
There all rhoms but different collection points. Such as a rhom collected in Brazil will be more expensive then a rhom collected in Peru of the same size.
Hmm. Don't quite get it. Why does location affect price? Or is it that location affects appearance, which affects price? I don't know how you guys can tell them all apart.

Holdenon5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
The location will effect appearance. The rhoms that come out of Brazil will look nicer than the Peruvians hence the higher price. First pic is a rhom from Brazil and second is from Peru. Both from aquascapeonline.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
You can't tell rhoms apart. Unless you know specific river/region the fish was taken from. Any other name you give S. rhombeus would just be a descriptive name that wholesalers use to increase price.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
The location will effect appearance. The rhoms that come out of Brazil will look nicer than the Peruvians hence the higher price. First pic is a rhom from Brazil and second is from Peru. Both from aquascapeonline.

View attachment 1158090

View attachment 1158091

Just playing the devil's advocate. The difference in appearance between the rhoms pictured above is not caused by location, but is difference between a well fed fish and an emaciated fish. most Serra spieces will have that concave back when freshly imported.

Holdenon5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Just playing the devil's advocate. The difference in appearance between the rhoms pictured above is not caused by location, but is difference between a well fed fish and an emaciated fish. most Serra spieces will have that concave back when freshly imported.
This is true. My bad for a poor representation between the two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store