This is my new piranha I got today. Does anyone know what it is?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Just playing the devil's advocate. The difference in appearance between the rhoms pictured above is not caused by location, but is difference between a well fed fish and an emaciated fish. most Serra spieces will have that concave back when freshly imported.
What about the sparkles on some of them? What does that mean?

killzmke

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
milwaukee
It doesn't mean anything. Some have it, some don't. The ones that do are the "diamond" variants. That's what he meant about giving them names and charging more. It all comes down to your preferences. Do you like the look?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
It doesn't mean anything. Some have it, some don't. The ones that do are the "diamond" variants. That's what he meant about giving them names and charging more. It all comes down to your preferences. Do you like the look?
I do. Thanks for the info. I was reading an article that some scientists think they need to redo the classification thing because there may be different species that are all group under Serrasalmas rhom.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
So is the one I bought considered a diamond variety are is it not sparkly enough?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
So is the one I bought considered a diamond variety are is it not sparkly enough?
It says on aquascape that they have a higher "diamond" body shape?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I have a question for you. How long after introducing my new fish to the tank can I try to get it off feeder fish? I haven't seen it eat anything yet and it seems very nervous. Any tips on making it feel more comfortable?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I have a question for you. How long after introducing my new fish to the tank can I try to get it off feeder fish? I haven't seen it eat anything yet and it seems very nervous. Any tips on making it feel more comfortable?

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
Ypu can start right away. Start with frozen silversides and offer one every couple days leave it in the tank for a few hours or over night. It can takes days or weeks for new piranha to eat.

The biggest thing to help the fish feel more comfortable is consistency. But it can take weeks, months, or years for piranha to get comfortable. Patience is key with piranhas.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I was told by someone with a good amount of knowledge that they were almost positive it was a Xingu. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I assume it got that bump on its chin when it was sitting in its tiny tank at the Lfs. Will that go away?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store