Thoughts on fluval fx6

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
For realistic any filter state max size at 200G, 300G or 400G It's pretty much best effect if you divide the max size number by half :). Also depend on fish size too and how many stocks have in the tank, for example if you have 1 inch fish in 200G tank then you don't even need any filters at all hehehe. Anyway, there is no suck thing overkill for filtration the more you have the better of your fish tank water quality and less water change you have to do.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Fx6 (and fx5) - one of the biggest failure in canister world..lemme explain why :

1. Big filter with tiny space for bio media

2. Clogs quite fast - excellent mech filter (are canister meant to be mech filters? No)

3. Pump autostops for air release every 24h for 2 minutes - is there any warrany that it will turn back on? Nope and i heard a lot of times that filter stayed quiet.. would you risk that while having expensive fishes?

4. If this canister is a must for you - check its modifications online - it can hold about 3g of bio media after modding..sad thing is that fluval didnt see them and use them in FX6 but actually made fx5 replica with power saving pump

5. Overall design is a mistake - who puts pump at the bottom of the canister??

6. Canister for up to 400g? My ass.. they have strong pump yes, but fails at filtering bioload - bacteria works best with normal flow through media and not flow with speed of light..

I wont say that it is complete disaster but it is high risk of not doing its job properly..when you have fish for few years or fish that rips your wallet apart..lets say pump doesnt go On when you are away for few days

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Spend the extra money for an Eheim 2262. Money well spent for a better, larger filter. The pump is on top where it belongs.

bigme213

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
Other than the pump on top what pros does eheim have over the fluval. I know they're supposed to b nice. But I have never used one before. As where I have used 304 and 306 on smaller tanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
I run FX's on tanks 180-265g. 2 on the 265. Singles on the 180's get some help from smaller cans or AC110's. 220 is not a good Jardini tank though. Fish can get longer than the tank is wide.
How many jardinis are on this forum that are over 24 inches?

I like over killing filtration I ran 3 fx5 on 180 gallon and 4 on a 300 gallon with heavily stocked tanks n that worked.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I forget to mention that I don't use any of the sponges inside the fx5s. All I keep in them is ceramic rings for bacteria growth. The flow is reduced when sponges are in. Someone mentioned them not turning on after they purge the air inside. I've used them for over 6 years now and never had a problem with them not coming back on. If your going to use 1 on your tank I'd run some air stones aswell. One running with good water changes will work depending on what kind of feeding you do IMO.

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
Other than the pump on top what pros does eheim have over the fluval. I know they're supposed to b nice. But I have never used one before. As where I have used 304 and 306 on smaller tanks

You can pack a heck of a lot more biomedia in the Eheim. The only downside is that it doesn't have the trays like Fluval.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
About that air purge prob and running for 6 years..you are very lucky man :) my mate here already has probs with that autostop pump on fx6 and filter is practically new.. also lots of people that i know, said that they had probs with that autostop thing..and that even pump died at those constant stops..

But also some said that they never had any prob..its 50:50..it works like car - 500.000km without a single prob, or dies after month or two..

About eheim classic 2262..

Pros -
1. Lots of filter media
2. Simple pump replacement (and no need to be original which can cut the price)
3. Great quality build
4. Reliable
5. Easy to modify

Cons -
1. Price
2. No trays (i think there is option to buy them, not sure)
3. No quick connect valves (need to buy for easier maintenance)
4. Need to modify to silence it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store