Thoughts on Private Fishing Lakes?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The fish I took from wild stocks were eggs I saved from noodling trips. Once the adults were legally caught, the eggs were rescued and I hatched them out in my tanks. I stocked my ponds and a few dozen others in the county with blue cats, flatheads, and channel cats.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
What I have (and probably many others here) against pay lakes is that a lot of them wild catch trophy fish from rivers and lakes that are carry the genes for monster fish and since they take them they're removing at least one fish that may have traits for gigantism from the wild gene pool.
How is this different from any hook and line caught trophy fish destined for the dinner table or taxidermist? For that matter, what's he difference between a trophy fish placed in a private pond versus a trophy fish caught and sold to the pet trade? Your chances of getting a particular 'trophy' specimen is 1 in 100,000 just competing with this site's number of aquarium keepers much less competing with all possible aquarium keepers.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I did something similar with my pond last year. I had a bunch of the bass, bluegill, and grass carp die off last winter and restocked it with different fish. So far I've done bowfin, gars, perch, bass, crappie, and a couple hundred sunfish that are breeding like crazy. I want to add something more exotic but haven't decided yet.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What's your problem with pay lakes and ponds? I had 7 fishing ponds on my last property. I let a few friends fish there for free but, charged strangers. I felt no guilt in charging them either since:

1. It's my land that requires property taxes be paid.
2. The trails to the ponds were maintained by me.
3. The plantings (including self-collected cypress and over 60 bamboo species) were maintained by me.
4. I paid to stock the ponds.
5. I paid to clean the ponds, trails, and fishing clearings.
6. I paid for the gravel in the designated parking areas.
7. I paid for the trail and parking lighting.
8. I paid for the pond aerators.
9. I paid for the additional safety fencing to pen in and protect my 9ft gator Ruby.
10. I paid to feed the ponds to grow out the stocked fish.
11. I paid for the pond health inspections and meds (when needed).
Again, i have no problems with responsibly maintained ponds like that. I just hate when pay lake owners wild catch the rare monsters for their pond(s).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How is this different from any hook and line caught trophy fish destined for the dinner table or taxidermist? For that matter, what's he difference between a trophy fish placed in a private pond versus a trophy fish caught and sold to the pet trade? Your chances of getting a particular 'trophy' specimen is 1 in 100,000 just competing with this site's number of aquarium keepers much less competing with all possible aquarium keepers.
Im just not a supporter of fishermen taking monsters either. I feel that if you're going to keep a fish that you catch,it should be big enough to get food out of it, but not the gigantic individuals who will make good breeders.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Im just not a supporter of fishermen taking monsters either. I feel that if you're going to keep a fish that you catch,it should be big enough to get food out of it, but not the gigantic individuals who will make good breeders.
I agree. I hate to see such a big beautiful fish getting eaten. I usually keep them for my pond or release.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Depending on species, some of the largest fish may not actually be reproductive.
all species that are stocked for ponds will keep reproducing till they die. If they do not reproduce then the conditions in pond hasn't met their requirements.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
As for the wels catfish, they are illegal in most states due to the concerns of them being invasive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store