Tiger Datnoid.

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
I keep finding inconclusive data on these guys.

Some say they only grow a foot, others up to two feet.

Since I'm thinking of getting a 125, I've been seriously looking at one of these to put in my tank, since I think they look fantastic.

Anyone know how aggressive they are, and or their growth rate?

Any extra knowledge is appriciated.

If I got one, my setup would be:

2 archers
1 Tiger Datnoid
1 stonefish
3 fw snowflake eels
1 dragon goby

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
first off, this should go under the datnoid section, but that's ok. theres a few species of tigers growing all to different sizes, indo, St's, Ngt's, etc, do you know exactly what kind you want, a 125 would be good for almost all dats, exept very large st's and such in the 18" range. Dats aren"t brakish fish ethier.

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Siamese Tiger Datnoid is what I believe it to be called. From the various places I have read on it, it is indeed a brackish datnoid. Thats why I asked in this forum - if anyone with a brackish set up has kept one.

The only fact that I do know is that this Datnoid is brackish - but it's final size - I am unclear to.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Silver Dat or American Tiger are the ones that are brackish. Can be kept in fresh or brackish. I'de say it'll top out around a foot. If it gets bigger.....congrats.

Mine grew really slow and in spurts.

I have 3. Got them all at the same time about 1.5 years ago. One is a midget. Still about 3 inches. The other 2 are about 6 or so. I will probobly end up moving them to my brackish tank cause of the aggresion at feeding time. Not towards other fish but to the food. First 6 pieces of shrimp tossed in the tank belong to them....never fails. Fat lil bastids never share. It appears the other dats are scared of them...lol

I'de grow them out for a bit before dropping them in a 125......mine seemed so confused in a big tank they didn't find food too well.

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Yeah, they'd be sharing a tank with 2 or so archers, 3 snowflake eels, a dragon goby and a stonefish.

turbid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
malta
the only brackish dats are datnioides campelli and datnioides polota (formerly quadrifasciatus). all the other species are fresh water. polotas (silver dats) do well in completly fresh water.. i dont have any experience with campelli so cant say. silver dats top around a foot. pulcher grow to around 2 feet, and microlepis and unidecimradiatus (thin bars) grow to about 40 cm.

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Sorry for my misnaming. I meant I guess the Silver Datnoid - the one that does live in brackish. Some sites call it the siamese or tiger datnoid :)

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
By the way, does anyone know the scientic name for the Silver Datnoid? I keep finding inconclusive data on that one.

Thanks all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store