Top 10 most aggressive non-cichlid freshwater fish?

Puffer puffer pass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2012
Fort Collins
I would have to say any of the bichirs! I have had a couple and my favorite was one I bought from pets mart as a little baby and he grew up quite nicely but I had purchased a $80 saber tooth fish (not sure on the scientific name) but because it was a slower moving fish easily twice the bichirs size he freaked ate it whole! All of the faster moving fish remained unscathed though. But as far as the most aggressive fish I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with has definitely been puffers! It doesn't matter if the fish they are attacking is literally ten time the size or if the fish they are going after has spikes or barbs they just find an odd enjoyment for just killing fish! Sometimes i have watched them kill fish not even to eat they just killed them because it sounded fun I guess!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheTankMates

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
llama
Asian RTC, bettas are not that aggressive anymore, they have been bred for finnage and aggression has been diminished there are even reports of people now keeping males together. I believe TFH has an article on this.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Asian RTC, bettas are not that aggressive anymore, they have been bred for finnage and aggression has been diminished there are even reports of people now keeping males together. I believe TFH has an article on this.
Yes if they are kept in HUGE tank...huge difference between keep them in small tank and big tank. However the betta remained too aggressive for each other so I doubt they are bred aggression out judging from the males still flaring each other in the jars at Walmart.

TheTankMates

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
llama
Yes if they are kept in HUGE tank...huge difference between keep them in small tank and big tank. However the betta remained too aggressive for each other so I doubt they are bred aggression out judging from the males still flaring each other in the jars at Walmart.
When I locate the article I will link it. Dont want to get into a whole thing here, just bringing up something I had read.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
When I locate the article I will link it. Dont want to get into a whole thing here, just bringing up something I had read.
Judging from the betta's reaction from another betta at various LFS, their aggression hasn't changed. Most betta keepers that sucessfully keep two male bettas in same tank were usually in larger tanks from 30gal to 75gal.

TheTankMates

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
llama
Judging from the betta's reaction from another betta at various LFS, their aggression hasn't changed. Most betta keepers that sucessfully keep two male bettas in same tank were usually in larger tanks from 30gal to 75gal.
I'm gonna roll with Tropical fish hobbyist or FAMA (I cant remember which) on this one. Thanks for the input though. It was a pretty decent article about the change from breeding for aggression to breeding for fin development and colors,and how the aggression has diminished. Also the term "large" tank means different things to different people, a 30 or 75 is not large to me. My 135 is tiny to me now. I don't keep em, my wife does. They don't really interest me, I don't care at all, and I am also not interested in continuing this line of discussion.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I'm sorry that you refused to accept these cold solid facts that male fancy bettas remained being aggressive towards other males. Tried kept two male bettas in same tank....one was killed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store