Tropical Gar : The Singapore Order

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Madding;4972562; said:
I wonder if those two fish are in my tank now... haha. I must have a small percentage of that tropical gar import in my possession.
haha, those two definitely are not...they are either dead (had an unfortunate incident with two of them in 2006, still preserved them though) or with myself or Richard...that first batch never left our possession - we never sold any TPGs that came our way, and i don't think any of the originals remain outside those collections since there were so few. most of the TPGs floating around now are from the second order from 2007 (big ones anyway), and a following order (i believe in 2008).

would be great to get a census of the TPG and CBG in the US, but unfortunately not everyone communicates on the forums who owns them!--

msjinkzd;4972605; said:
I desperately want another tropical gar for my 220g. *sigh*

Just to add to the above comments, I wanted to offer an anecdotal comment on behavior. While my trop gar (about 24") used all of the tank levels, he prefers the lower 1/3. I am not sure if its because he is in with only bichirs otherwise, or if he is just a weirdo. He also prefers to eat off the bottom of the tank vs. floating/food in the water column.

as with most other gars, TPGs are pretty social, and if they think they are safe, they will also rest on the bottom. definitely happens from time to time that gars think they are bichirs :) ...strangely the reverse never seems to happen, haha.

He also, oddly, has gill curl on his left side.

some of the TPGs (throughout various collections/fishkeepers) are showing this here and there...just an issue of growth, but hasn't shown to be a problem other than aesthetics. definitely nothing to be worried about!
commented on the above in GREEN - thanks for the added info!--
--solomon

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
E_americanus;4972795; said:
haha, those two definitely are not...they are either dead (had an unfortunate incident with two of them in 2006, still preserved them though) or with myself or Richard...that first batch never left our possession - we never sold any TPGs that came our way, and i don't think any of the originals remain outside those collections since there were so few. most of the TPGs floating around now are from the second order from 2007 (big ones anyway), and a following order (i believe in 2008).
i have two from 2005. got them with you. are they from the same order?
my third one is from 2007.

E_americanus;4972795; said:
as with most other gars, TPGs are pretty social, and if they think they are safe, they will also rest on the bottom. definitely happens from time to time that gars think they are bichirs :) ...strangely the reverse never seems to happen, haha.
--solomon
proof that bichirs are the bomb! :grinno:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Infblue;4972919; said:
i have two from 2005. got them with you. are they from the same order?
my third one is from 2007.

that's right! don't know how i could forget ricky! your TPGs are giants for sure...i think you need to share some recent pics (obviously writing the dissertation is taking up most of your time, so perhaps you could share some links to previous recent pics?)

proof that bichirs are the bomb! :grinno:

hahaha, i think it just shows the versatility of gars over bichirs...a gar could fill the role of a bichir if necessary, but not vice versa...then again, i have a piece of driftwood in my tank that also fills the role of a bichir :p couldn't resist :)
ricky's fish are true giants, and i believe the largest remaining gars from the original order - well done!--
--solomon

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
I want another, are you going to be working on captive breeding them? Or do you plan on bringing in more? I would love to get some more and see how they behave together.

matthewlimkaijie

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
E_americanus;4972291; said:
just to add to the anticipation as well as revisit the past, here are a few pics of the first order (at least in the past 10+ years) of tropical gars to come in to the US (summer 2005). first shot was at the airport when i picked up the box with the first batch of fish (after they were imported through Shark Aquarium in NJ). second pics are while the fish were in the bags...i was very excited to finally receive these fish (and that's an understatement).

i look forward to similar documentation when xander and co. receive their new fish too!--
--solomon
how is their packaging like when you recieve them bro?
All specimens were packed in individually,pairs or all in a bag?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
msjinkzd;4973595; said:
I want another, are you going to be working on captive breeding them? Or do you plan on bringing in more? I would love to get some more and see how they behave together.
we have some projects in the works, but we are not involved with any plans to bring in more TPGs in the relative future at this point. will definitely keep people updated as things progress and as we are able to pass along info!--

matthewlimkaijie;4974775; said:
how is their packaging like when you recieve them bro?
All specimens were packed in individually,pairs or all in a bag?
you guys will be receiving them from an entirely different intermediary, so i would talk to xander - apparently it is "stones aquarium"? our intermediary was Shark Aquarium, and george did a great job as always with the packing (he would have received all of them from the farm in Mexico, and i am not aware as to how they packed them when shipping to him. there was no mortality as far as i know). these gars are also quite durable as well--
--solomon

SmallMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Thomson
will update u all on the photos when i get mine too!

Schmike

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Singapore
~1wk+ is very fast. all of us just have to make sure our phone don't stay too far away fr us and wait for the activation to collect the gars.

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
Schmike;4977343; said:
~1wk+ is very fast. all of us just have to make sure our phone don't stay too far away fr us and wait for the activation to collect the gars.
I'll just pop by yr place to look
I think I hv enough fishes in my tank :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store