Schmike

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Singapore
elindra;4977417; said:
I'll just pop by yr place to look
I think I hv enough fishes in my tank :ROFL:
anytime. just let me know. u still have to collect the pacman. i just have to wait for activation. :grinyes: probably by the time u collect the pacman its already in my tank if its that earlier few days of the ETA.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Haha counting down already. Am interested to see how they fare besides my cubans, which do not display much-if any aggression

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Hopefully they don't become a pack of bloodthirsty wolves like mine.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;4977866; said:
Haha counting down already. Am interested to see how they fare besides my cubans, which do not display much-if any aggression

i would say that Madding's situation is somewhat of an anomaly, although there is little info available aside from our observations on gar behavior (particularly since captivity is very different from the wild).

having kept many groups of TPGs (both Richard and myself and also our bichir-master friend Ricky) have not really noticed serious aggression from TPGs compared to other Atractosteus or other gars on average (LEP genus gars tend to be a bit more timid compared to Atractosteus).

Cubans I have kept have always been more aggressive; the current setup (CBGs which are now about 7 years old) has them being the most aggressive in the tank second only to the Croc II.

all that being said, it would take a while for serious issues to develop since you guys are getting YOY fish. when is the arrival date???--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Still no info on that yet! Shipping date is scheduled to be 25-30march, so its getting closer!!

Ime(and most sgp keepers really), cubans have not really demonstrated much aggression. Maybe with the new batch we'll be able to get more info on them

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;4978240; said:
Still no info on that yet! Shipping date is scheduled to be 25-30march, so its getting closer!!

Ime(and most sgp keepers really), cubans have not really demonstrated much aggression. Maybe with the new batch we'll be able to get more info on them

yeah, that is curious about their behavior there...at the same time, stocking densities differ greatly, and there are issues with size differences too. at the same time, how many SGP keepers are keeping them with all other species...Lep gars tend to be pretty wimpy compared to Atract gars, and it doesn't seem like many in SGP are keeping spotted/longnose/shortnose in the mix--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
just to add a bit more to the upcoming order hype, here was the cover article shot for the piece i wrote for TFH Magazine back in 2005 when we imported them to the US--
--solomon

TFHtgaropener1a.jpg

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I agree with 'anomoly' for mine - I also think I was underestimating the feeding requirements for such a large amount of gars when I first grouped them together. Unfortunately I think most of the deaths were probably because I was not feeding them enough. Oh well, live and learn. At least the gars lived. :)

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
E_americanus;4978497; said:
just to add a bit more to the upcoming order hype, here was the cover article shot for the piece i wrote for TFH Magazine back in 2005 when we imported them to the US--
--solomon
Do you have a copy of that GARticle that we might be able to read? Unfortunately, the TFH website only has archives back to 2007...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store