Tropical Gars

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Sorry woochuck, I wasn't ignoring you, it is just that I have never kept one and didn't know if you were asking about the true gars or the fish sold as gars like hujetas or needle fish. True gars in general are supposedly fairly mellow with fish more than 1/2 their own size and the same is said to be true of aros but it depends on the individual fish, a freinds silver aro is a bully and picks on anything not bigger than it is.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
T-gars are awesome fish, I have one in a tank right next to me as I'm typing this. Unfortunenately as far as I know there aren't any for sale in the US as the importer of them has now sold out, and I don't think that anyone plans on bringing them back into the US (they are expensive, and good ol' George at the Shark Aquarium took quite a chance in bringing them in... and it is much appreciated!). By the way, are you by any chance asking this because you saw the article on them in TFH? If so, you may like to know that Sol (E_americanus) who is a member of this board wrote that article. :)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Trop Gars are very unique among gars, they are in fact the most primitive of the Genus Atractosteus. Unfortunatly though the above is correct and none of these fish are available in the US once again. I'm not seeing them coming in again for a very long time.

For those interested here are a few pics of the fish imported from Mexico from George at Shark Aquarium.

snoutonose.jpg

Tropical7.jpg

Tropical.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store