Turning filter off for 4/5 hours a day?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If the tank is stocked heavy this may not work. I have an air pump in my basement with a long air line running up thru the floor to my tanks. I run the air pump on a separate circuit and have learned over decades that UGF, bubblers and such have kept tanks going when power filters have failed. I had the tubing and a hole already in the floor and was tired of the pump noise. This has worked well for me.

Not sure how long a power filter can be off without affecting the bacteria. I have had filters fail for several hours from time to time with no noticable bad effect. I cannot help you there.

Good luck

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Think I'll just foam inside the cabinet instead, and foam the gaps in the back as well.
Can't think of a place that sells buckets that would fit a fx6 and would fit in my cabinet.

What kind of foam should I use? Are there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; Be aware of the potential for excess heat build up if you smother it in foam.

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
You could dynamat the inside of your stand. Lol. That stuff is kind of expensive, at least it was 12 yrs ago when i was into stereo equipment. I would think the foam insulation that people place their tanks on would probably do the job also

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Try the cheap egg crate foam you can get at a mattress shop.
Just cut to fit your stand/cabinet.
Rich

freelanderuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
UK
foam will not stop the noise ,dynamat or mass loaded vinyl will reduce it , stand the filter on a closed cell foam to stop any vibration threw the cabinet floor make sure your hoses are not touching the sides of the cabinets as any vibrations caused by the filter are amplified by the cabinet

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Just get yourself some ear plugs for sleeping , problem solved ;):D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I wonder if something is wrong with the filter... I have 2 of them on my 240 gallon 5 feet away from my bed and they make no noise at all!!! What kind of noise is it making?

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I have 3 fx5s and I can barely hear them with my ear pressed up against one???? I would check out your impellers and motor housing they should not be loud whatsoever. Could lead to bigger problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store