Turning filter off for 4/5 hours a day?

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I have 3 fx5s and I can barely hear them with my ear pressed up against one???? I would check out your impellers and motor housing they should not be loud whatsoever. Could lead to bigger problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'll check the impeller this week, but it made this noise when it was brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Is the outlet tube and filter itself against the stand? When my filter is placed against one of the walls in my stand, I get a vibration sort of humming sound

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If it were me, and turning it off was my only sleeping option, I would not use this unit for bio media, only mechanical or chemical filtration, and would clean it often.
The biggest problem with turning pumps on and off, is whether they will actually turn back on again without a lot of fiddling around. My pumps sometimes take 3 or 4 attempts at getting them back running after stopping. All it takes is 1 grain of sand to stop a pump in its tracks, and a few extra hours could turn biomedia anoxic, or even anaerobic and when turned back on, send a belch of hydrogen sulfide into the tank.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'll check the impeller this week, but it made this noise when it was brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; Fiddleing with an impeller is part of the game. I will not try to give a lot specific details as it is a trial and error process. Sometimes simply removing the impeller and putting it back will work. On one I was only able to reduce the noise by putting a small piecee of wide, but thin, rubber band between the base and it's hole.

Do you have a light sand substrate? Sand is known for damaging an impeller and can cause them to be noisy. Active fish stir up the sand and it gets sucked into the filter tube. I no longer use sand for this and some other reasons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store