Uaru F. Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Where'd you get that? Was curious of what to feed. I've used romaine lettuce but I've heard they don't really process terrestrial stuff well. How are the uaru, pair still playing nice?

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Where'd you get that? Was curious of what to feed. I've used romaine lettuce but I've heard they don't really process terrestrial stuff well. How are the uaru, pair still playing nice?
I got it at local fish store here in San Diego. The store is called aquatic warehouse. This much was 4 bucks I think. The pair are still playing nice. I'm thinking about pulling them all out and venting them. I've had them since February, and they should be at sexual maturity by now. Wondering if I ended up with three males or something.

Have you checked the Asian stores in SD for Nori? There's a brand of dried seaweed aka Nori that does not contain any spices or other additives, I forget the brand name, that is way cheaper.
I haven't, something to look in to when this stuff runs out. Thanks!

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hello all, I know its been a while since the last update, but I've been away from home, and it's all good in the hood. Current tank specs:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <5
Ph - 5.00
Temp - 84.5
TDS - 35

I've noticed growth in all three fish since my absence started which is encouraging. The alpha has been a bit agro lately. Hoping it's a ramp up for spawning. I really REALLY want to see some action from these guys. Its been almost a year. I'll probably be venting them before I leave again after the holidays. I HAVE to know if I have a pair in there. As time passes, I've been getting more and more focused on getting a spawn from them. Tips are appreciated!!

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Festae Forever

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Hi There-A couple/few years back I got a group of 4. The first couple of days they looked awesome. I'm in Palm Springs (not too far away from you) and had issues with super hard and alkaline water. Ended up using R/O water with R/O Right from Kent. Although I've been keeping fish a very long time, I'm no water guru nor do I pretend to be. One thing that was evident with mine is that they HATED light. I literally ended up moving them to the darkest corner of the room and kept lighting low. Because I'm not nearly as devoted as you, I finally decided to try to move them. I placed posts on here and really only received tepid interest at the time. Finally after a period of about 3 months I put them in my heated micro pond (125 gallon). Although I couldn't keep a good eye on them, they seemed to do well and stayed alive until I ended up giving them to a buddy. While I'm the first to admit that I have very limited expertise on them, the fact that the fish seemed to do better once they were placed in an environment where they could have (1) privacy and (2) indirect sun (the pond being under an overhang of the house). I do know this much, I'd only be interested in F1 Pandas going forward. The hauling of water jugs got old and especially so when it became evident they still weren't happy. I would encourage someone who has a smallish pond and can control temperature to give them a try.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hi There-A couple/few years back I got a group of 4. The first couple of days they looked awesome. I'm in Palm Springs (not too far away from you) and had issues with super hard and alkaline water. Ended up using R/O water with R/O Right from Kent. Although I've been keeping fish a very long time, I'm no water guru nor do I pretend to be. One thing that was evident with mine is that they HATED light. I literally ended up moving them to the darkest corner of the room and kept lighting low. Because I'm not nearly as devoted as you, I finally decided to try to move them. I placed posts on here and really only received tepid interest at the time. Finally after a period of about 3 months I put them in my heated micro pond (125 gallon). Although I couldn't keep a good eye on them, they seemed to do well and stayed alive until I ended up giving them to a buddy. While I'm the first to admit that I have very limited expertise on them, the fact that the fish seemed to do better once they were placed in an environment where they could have (1) privacy and (2) indirect sun (the pond being under an overhang of the house). I do know this much, I'd only be interested in F1 Pandas going forward. The hauling of water jugs got old and especially so when it became evident they still weren't happy. I would encourage someone who has a smallish pond and can control temperature to give them a try.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Mine also don't like bright light., but I do tend to keep the lights on a bit higher and a bit longer than all of my other tanks. I do this to try to encourage some algae growth on the driftwood in the tank. Gives them, and the plecos, something to graze on.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It's not uncommon for blackwater fish to be timid in bright light, considering their natural waters are tea-stained and dark. Heckel discus and altum angels are the same. If you want them to settle down and spawn, I'd suggest staining the water in addition to dimming the light. Rooibos tea is a good way of achieving that without spending a fortune on Indian almond leaves or dealing with messy peat.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
It's not uncommon for blackwater fish to be timid in bright light, considering their natural waters are tea-stained and dark. Heckel discus and altum angels are the same. If you want them to settle down and spawn, I'd suggest staining the water in addition to dimming the light. Rooibos tea is a good way of achieving that without spending a fortune on Indian almond leaves or dealing with messy peat.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it rooibos. I usually do keep the water dark, I've just been unable to keep it that way recently. I usually make peat tea and add during water changes. I've been thinking about switching to alder cones instead for easier tannins.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Also, was there any specific behavior you noticed before yours spawned?

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Damn, looking back it was peathenster peathenster i was thinkin of. I apologize for my ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store