Uaru F. Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
Sorry I haven't been on the site or keeping up with fish stuff in general lately. Pretty typical cichlid behavior before mine soaked - a pair formed and first thing they did was to beat up the dominant male together. They took over half of the 8' tank and kept the rest away. Spawning happened a few days later, and probably a dozen more times in the next few months after. I never pulled eggs. Sometimes they got eaten soon after and sometimes they just went bad. The male probably just didn't do his thing.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Sorry I haven't been on the site or keeping up with fish stuff in general lately. Pretty typical cichlid behavior before mine soaked - a pair formed and first thing they did was to beat up the dominant male together. They took over half of the 8' tank and kept the rest away. Spawning happened a few days later, and probably a dozen more times in the next few months after. I never pulled eggs. Sometimes they got eaten soon after and sometimes they just went bad. The male probably just didn't do his thing.
Thanks for getting back to me then. Do you happen to remember things like tank temp etc. I can't seem to find out if they spawn in the wet or dry seasons so I'm not sure on what to replicate. Current ph is 5 and temp is 86. I've got them eating well on some diy food I whipped up and they've been pounding several small meals of spirulina flakes a day. I have noticed some increased tail wagging and territory protection. Maybe its all in my head though. None of it will mean much if ive actually got a same sex group.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
Thanks for getting back to me then. Do you happen to remember things like tank temp etc. I can't seem to find out if they spawn in the wet or dry seasons so I'm not sure on what to replicate. Current ph is 5 and temp is 86. I've got them eating well on some diy food I whipped up and they've been pounding several small meals of spirulina flakes a day. I have noticed some increased tail wagging and territory protection. Maybe its all in my head though. None of it will mean much if ive actually got a same sex group.
It was about 82-84. I fed them a lot of fresh veggies when they were younger but settled on spirulina pellets and blackworms when they were grown. High protein food was supposed to be bad for them but I never noticed any issues with blackworms.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I'll lower their temp starting with today's water change. I've been having luck with broccoli, shrimp, and krill. It has to be processed in to very small bites for them. I swear they are THE pickiest eaters I have ever kept.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5 massive dose of safe, slowly slow slow tap adding. Working now.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I would like to take a quick second to praise the resilience of these fish. Many others would be dead already.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Ph raised to 5.3. Ammonia test says 0. Retest in 30.
Edit to keep multi posts down. Added approx 1 gallon mixed ro HCL, ph 5.2.
Second edit. Pandas super stressed. They've been acting weird all day. Real dark. Know why now. Ph meter has been on planted tank to track co2. My failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store