Ultra High Tech 300 gallon Discus install journal

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Thanks all. It's been a labor of love. Trying to take my time and make everything perfect. No short cuts.

Subscribed, so jealous of your uv, so overkill, I love it.
Actually its not overkill on the UV if you want true pathogen killing sterilization. This will truly kill bugs and not just green water, like 99% of most UV installs do.

Have you considered a continuous drip water change system?
There will be a constant drip system to keep up with evaporation, but main water changes will be done every other day from a 100+ gallon water storage tank that will be out in the sun room. The storage tank will be heated and PH controlled with Co2 injection to match tank conditions and monitored by the APEX system with temp, PH and float switches.

I am even building a "bog garden" along the side of the house to handle tank and R/O waste water run off, so that it is not going into my septic tank system and overwhelming it.

Drainage system will run out to this hole, which will be back filled with compost/dirt and have lots of water loving plants like elephant ears planted in it.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Great idea, you must be planning on changing a fair bit of water!

So, have to ask; wild types or captive bred colourful ones???

(please say wilds!!!)

Metriacliman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
New York
Holy crap! $100/gallon! Looking forward to seeing it up!

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
I love where you're going with this! Right up my alley with all the tech you got going in there. I love my Apex controller, especially with the LED dimming and vortech pump profiles. I'm going to be really interested in hearing your feedback of the Exofotic lights once you get them going. I've been searching for ideas on what to use for my new tank build and those look like some real contenders. Love the lighting hanging solution you came up with... thats pretty ingenius. So simple but really effective.

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Great idea, you must be planning on changing a fair bit of water!
So, have to ask; wild types or captive bred colourful ones???
(please say wilds!!!)
Wilds. If you want to keep wilds happy you better plan on 30% water changes every other day.

Hard core discus-philes will do 100% daily. Have to keep in mind too that the R/O system is going to "waste" 3-4 gallons for every gallons it puts out. So its not just the water change water, but all the R/O waste water too. I'm on a well and septic system so I cant just dump it all down the drain without issues.

Holy crap! $100/gallon! Looking forward to seeing it up!
The tank alone was $4k :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store