Ultra High Tech 300 gallon Discus install journal

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Tedious to say the least. Now I get to take it all back apart, paint, hang board on wall and reinstall.

The power cords will run over to an 8 outlet APEX power strip that will be on the next board over. Cords will all be cut to length and held neatly in place.

The smaller Mean Well power supplies had the power and dimmer leads coming out of same wire bundle. So I used a 4 pin automotive weather proof Deutsch connectors so I can easily replace a power supply later if one goes out. Red and black are the 24V power leads to the LED light and the blue and white are the dimmer control leads.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Incredible setup, I love the cabinetry!

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Change of plans for the pumps. I will be selling my 1/15hp pond pumps in favor of some high end pool pumps.

Was out messing around with my pool pumps today. They are high efficiency Pentair variable speed pumps. You can set them anywhere from 400rpm to 3,400rpm and they display exactly how much power in watts they are using on their lcd display.

At 3,000 rpm they are loud pool pumps blasting away and sucking 2,000 watts.

but when I dialed it down to 750rpms where I would run it on the aquarium pumping 1,200 gph it was whisper quiet and pulling less than 120watts !!!! :eek:

This will also allow me to exactly fine tune how much water the pump is putting out. just simply push a button on the pump and speed it up or slow it down.

Insanely expensive at $900 a pop, and I'll need two, but the savings in electrical cost should offset it in a year or two.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Not really getting the benefit of using the pool pump, especially at $900 a pop and seeing as you're only going to run them at 1/4 power. I get the 'cool' factor of being able to increase/decrease your flow with the touch of a finger but at two to three times the price of a comparable pump. Money is made to be spent I guess but you could save yourself a grand right there and put it into more fish.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Not really getting the benefit of using the pool pump, especially at $900 a pop and seeing as you're only going to run them at 1/4 power. I get the 'cool' factor of being able to increase/decrease your flow with the touch of a finger but at two to three times the price of a comparable pump. Money is made to be spent I guess but you could save yourself a grand right there and put it into more fish.
Agreed. At $125 a pop throw on a pair of q1 6000's and save about 500-600 bucks per pump. They move 1500 gph at 135 watts and are made by pentair.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
I have a pair of 1/15hp pumps already, but I really really really really like the idea of having a variable speed pump so I can dial in flow rates to where ever they need to be. Everything else is so baller over the top on this tank, the pumps might as well be too.

Order my APEX system today too. Cant wait.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com