Ultra High Tech 300 gallon Discus install journal

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
So I've been trying to figure out how to put an alarm into the system that will detect flow. So if a pump ever fails the system will react properly and alert me.

Found these flow switches.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1214/In-Line-Flow-Switches
It's a got a little electrical contact switch that closes at 14gpm and opens back up at 6gpm or less. This can be wired into the Apex controller to see when the switch opens and closes and it can send me a text/email and if it is on the chiller/UV circuit it can turn off the equipment as well to keep anything from getting damaged.

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Apex and related modules are mounted. Think I'm going to make up a small 3 sided cover box for the wires under the Apex. Clean it up a little and hide stuff.

Ran out of Deutsch connectors to finish the dimming wiring, but thats pretty much it.

Boards will be painted white and I'll post some pics of it mounted above the aquarium in a few days.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
That's a fantastic looking set up and it's not even set up fully yet.

I just can't help feel a huge disappointment in the fact that you have spent so much money and only achieved a 300 gallon tank which so many fish keepers have on here and so much better.

I spent a lot on my tank compared to most and achieved a nice tidy 750 gallon set up, i've spend a lot less than you and you've only got a 300 gallon.

Yes it's more high tech but not that much more sophisticated where it matters, they both change water give good lighting and look nice.

No criticism to you, it's absolutely wonderful what you have done - but why not spend the money going bigger??

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
but why not spend the money going bigger??
Thats all that would fit the room. I really really wanted to put in a 3' front to back 540 gallon of same dimensions but it would have stuck out into the room too far and looked funny. I came very close to moving the whole wall behind the tank back 1 foot and stopped myself before I started getting carried away. lol.

It actually fits the room really nice while not overpowering it. The 540 would have been uber sweet, but oh well.
It was important that the tank look like it was "built in" and not dominating the room.

Some day I plan on putting in a "man cave garage" behind the house with a bar and cool cars and a mega 700-800 gallon tank.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Some day I plan on putting in a "man cave garage" behind the house with a bar and cool cars and a mega 700-800 gallon tank.
If the build on that is half as good as this one I look forward to seeing it!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store