Undulated triggerfish & tankmates

MITSUTECH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
MARYLAND
Honda12;381845; said:
Has anybody succesfully kept an undulated trigger with any tankmates. I am planning on getting one, but, I read that that are highly aggressive to other fish. So has anyone kept tankmates with them, and if so what.

Also is there any fish that you think might stand a chance with one and that I should give a try, as long as it is not to expensive.
At this time i have a 3 inch Undulated in my 30 gallom with a percula that lives in a long tenticle,a blue damsel, and a large manderin dragonet.there is a ton of live rock with plenty of places to hide and keep his interest when he is not using the serpent star for a toy.at this time the percula is the meanest fish in the tank by far very territorial however if i dont get another tank set up soon the undulated will be the only one in there.I have a 150 with 2 volitans,2 triggers,2 medium angels a huge red corris wrasse,and a zebra morray.I just cant get the nerve to put him in there till i set up his own 90.see ive kept fish for 22 years breaking some rules along the way,the undulated has always been my favorite.it is true some triggers do have there own personality and act totaly different then they are supposed to like my little guy but realize this the best behaved undulated even years down the road will one day go physco and usualy its only a couple of weeks.

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
I remember reading an article about a trigger that is known to attack divers. The name escapes me at the moment.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
The triger that ataks divers is, I believe, the Queen Triger ( Ballistes Vetula ).

I've had several undulatums, always with other fish, and nere had any aggression. If at all, the undulatums were shy.

bhurley79

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2007
anywhere
None undulated could and probably will snap killing most tank mates. I know of someone that has a 6 inch unduated and Blue line with a 4 to 5 inch picasso and rectangle in a 75 gallon. Thay have established their territory for the time being. He is going to move them up to a larger tank.

trigger lover

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2008
bridgeport ct
Honda12;381845; said:
Has anybody succesfully kept an undulated trigger with any tankmates. I am planning on getting one, but, I read that that are highly aggressive to other fish. So has anyone kept tankmates with them, and if so what.

Also is there any fish that you think might stand a chance with one and that I should give a try, as long as it is not to expensive.
i have a undalated with pacaso a clown trigger pine apple trigger and white spotted grouper. and they are doing great together i only had the undalated for about two weeks now. I think the best bet is to get him last cuz if you put him in by his self for to long even a couple days he's taken over everything . And his tank mates must be atleast 1 or2 inches bigger than him and just as mean. Good luck trigger lover

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
Miguel;641607; said:
The triger that ataks divers is, I believe, the Queen Triger ( Ballistes Vetula ).

I've had several undulatums, always with other fish, and nere had any aggression. If at all, the undulatums were shy.

the ones at work (undulated) are the same way...

they have a really bad rep, but from all my experience with them it's very undeserved...

in a large enough tank it can definitely work.. but in a 50 gallon or so i think you'd be lucky to any trigger to behave

trigger lover

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2008
bridgeport ct
I HAVE A UNDULATED WHITH A PACASSO A CLOWN TRIGGER A PINE APPLE TRIGGER AND A WHITE SPOTTED GROUPER. AND THEY ARE DOING GREAT TOGETHER . I THINK THE TRICK IS TO PUT HIM LAST MAKE SURE ALLTHE OTHERS ARE A LITTLE BIGGER THAN THE UNDALATED ABOUT 2 INCES AND JUST AS MEAN AND YOU REALLY NEED A BIGGER TANK THAN A 55 GALLON EVEN A 75 WOULD DO IT .

Tangs Rule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
NYC
As you can see by the various responses, it's up in the air and depends on the fish. If you do try it, buy a bigger fish than the undulated but that means you will also need a bigger tank. I think it's best kept alone.

Reactions: J. H.

steveluigi

Feeder Fish
Dec 28, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi there, I am new to this forum but have been keeping salt water marine fish for some years.
I have a blue trigger which I keep with a yellow tail damsel and a gold fin Tang. They are perfect tank mates, I have never had any problems at all with these 3 fish living together. Although I must say that I introduced a firefish once and within half an hour the trigger had bit it in half. Also the trigger killed a medium sized Wrasse. I have come to the conclusion that the trigger doesn't like anything the shape of a wrasse or firefish, in other words long and thin. The Yellow tailed damsel that i keep witht the trigger is safe with him simply because he's too fast for him to catch, saying that I have rarely seen the trigger trying to catch him. I think the rule of thumb is that if you wanted to add a tank mate, make sure that it is a bigger fish than your trigger, or that is is fast enough to get away from him.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store